-Caveat Lector-

<< http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/122498_REESE24.html

             Which side are you on:
             America's or the
             internationalists'?

             Published in The Orlando Sentinel, Dec 24 1998

             By Charley Reese
             Commentary

             The oath United Nations officers must take
             and the one American soldiers take proves
             that Michael New, the only American ever
             tried and convicted by court-martial for
             wanting to serve his country in uniform,
             was dead right.

             New -- a young, enlisted man -- refused to
             don U.N. insignia and serve in Macedonia
             under the command of a Finnish officer.
             He believes that his oath forbids it, and for
             that he was court-martialed. His appeal is
             still winding its way through the courts.

             But let's look at the oaths. An American
             soldier swears as follows: "I do solemnly
             swear that I will support and defend the
             Constitution of the United States against all
             enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will
             bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
             and that I will obey the orders of the
             president of the United States and the
             orders of the officers appointed over me,
             according to regulations and the Uniform
             Code of Military Justice."

             Now, here is the oath that officers serving
             the United Nations must take: "I solemnly
             affirm to exercise in all loyalty, discretion
             and conscience the functions entrusted to
             me as a member of the international
             service of the United Nations, to discharge
             those functions and regulate my conduct
             with the interest of the United Nations
             only in view and not to seek or accept
             instructions in respect to the
             performance of my duties from any
             government or other authority external to
             the organization." The emphasis is mine.

             As you can plainly see, a person cannot be
             loyal to both the United States and to the
             United Nations. The United Nations is a
             separate, foreign government. And that
             was Michael New's point: He never took
             an oath to the United Nations, and no one
             had the authority to place him under
             foreign command.

             It bears remembering that, when American
             troops arrived in France during World
             War I, British and French officials
             proposed that they be integrated into the
             Allied forces and serve under British and
             French command. Gen. Blackjack Pershing
             flatly refused. No American soldier, he
             said, would serve under a foreign
             commander.

             This is an issue that all Americans should
             join, for it is much larger than Michael
             New. The question is, do we want
             America to retain its sovereignty and
             independence for which our ancestors
             fought a war with Great Britain, or do we
             wish it to become a non-independent part
             of an international, sovereign government?

             Yes or no.

             And you had better decide, because the
             American Establishment is opting
             gradually to dissolve American
             independence and to merge it into an
             international order. To prepare Americans
             for that loss of independence, the present
             administration is ordering American
             troops to serve under U.N. command,
             doing U.N. errands. American troops are
             posted in more than 100 foreign countries,
             in nearly every case as U.N. errand boys
             or U.N. leg-breakers.

             In a speech urging rejection of the League
             of Nations, Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge said,
             "It must be made perfectly clear that no
             American soldiers, not even a corporal's
             guard, that no American sailors, not even
             the crew of a submarine, can ever be
             engaged in war or ordered anywhere
             except by the constitutional authorities of
             the United States. To Congress is granted
             by the Constitution the right to declare
             war, and nothing that would take troops out
             of the country at the bidding or demand of
             other nations should ever be permitted . . .
             ."

             As you can see, the fight for American
             sovereignty is a continuing fight. Which
             side are you on: America's or the
             internationalists'? Do you have the courage
             of Michael New to stand by your country?

             The shape of the future depends on the
             answers.

             [Posted 12/23/1998 6:51 PM EST]