-Caveat Lector-

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Mark Pitt wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Hello CTRL,
> I have question for any of you observing the bombing of Yugoslavia. Has anyone seen
>on any major media news service the full consequences of the bombing of Yugoslavia? I
>have only to date seen the structural damage to buildings and other types of
>structures being done. I have yet to see any dead bodies as in dead people in any of
>the stuff broadcast on T.V.. I have heard the newscatsters repeatally report that
>some numbers of people have been rumored to have been killed by Serbian officeals. I
>would bet even money they are not showing any of the dead bodies or dead people in
>the views of bombed out buildings and structures in order to propagandally sanitize
>the bombing going on over there. If the general public were allowed to view the
>entire consequences of the bombing over there I think they would view this very
>differently. There is a mass campaign to try and enlist new young recruits to all
>branches of the military. In my oppinion if they saw on T.V. the actual bodies of
>dead people as a direct result of war I seriously doubt they would enlist. I would
>like to hear anyones oppinion concern the topic of the medias lack of total reporting
>of the Bombing of Yugoslavia. They to date are only broadcasting half truths if that
>much. Have a great day :-)

I chanced on CNN "Headline News" coverage yesterday which amazingly
gave the Serb side -- but this was early afternoon on a work day
(Friday) so who knows how many saw it or if it was broadcast later
during prime time. The segment showed an activist group in San
Francisco which had teamed with Serb Americans. A nationwide
series of protests is reportedly set for April 17 here in U.S.
Also shown was video smuggled out of Yugoslavia and shot by a
group of activists who'd gone there to hear and report the Serb
voices and what they say. Footage of destroyed civilian housing;
footage of rock concert in Yugoslavia; one young woman saying,
passionately, that the Serbs don't want war but they will fight
for their homeland.

Brian Redman
Editor, CNNS