-Caveat Lector-

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Andrew Kieran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>how could anyone be stupid enough not to figure out that this would kill
>people? what the hell do they think these bombs are for? you're right
>about the media sanitising war though, or at least the institution. i saw
>a documentary on modern weaponry, stuff that was used in the gulf war and
>the like, and this US army PR asshole was talking about this new missile
>they had that could puncture a tanks army, destroying the tank and the
>'equipment' inside. luckily the reporter was quick enough to notice the
>newspeak and said "don't you mean it'll puncture the tank's hull and
>_kill_ the _people_ inside?" and the PR asshole got rather uncomfortable
>and muttered an affirmative

And it's THIS type of 'dumbing down' of just what a military force is FOR
that is responsible for the weakening of the military...NOT the admission
of blacks, or women, or openly acknowledging gay servicepeople...but the
general sense of a military force as something OTHER than an efficient
killing machine.

The PR asshole shouldn't have been speaking 'newspeak' in the first place,
but when called on it, should have proudly stated "Hell yeah, our missiles
will wipe out the whole of the enemy's tank platoon, including the
personnel INSIDE the tanks.."

But this is the result of presenting the military to possible young
recruits as a 'career alternative' instead of flipping burgers at a
fastfood joint, and as a way to get on-the-job training and pay for
college later on...and NOT as a career in and of itself, certainly not as
a DUTY which possibly requires killing other human beings...

As to the mention of bodies in Yugoslavia...I noticed that within the past
few days, 'our' side has now suddenly started mentioning possible 'human
shields'...methinks that this is the 'spin' being presented to the public
to explain the bodies that are mounting...if WE killed them, it wasn't
that we were aiming for them, not even that it was a case of our missiles
going astray...now, it's the 'fault' of the enemy, THEY are the ones who
put people in the way of our bombs...   :-7

June

*=======================================================================*
           It is not enough that yearly, down this hill, April
           Comes like an idiot, babbling and strewing flowers.

                  -- Edna St. Vincent Mallay:  Spring
*=======================================================================*
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.