-Caveat Lector-

MJ
     'Need' -- real or imaginary -- has NOTHING to do with equity.
Thew
     The sad thing is that you don't see that as the problem.
MJ
     That a WORD means what it states and not something else?

Thew
   We were not discussing the WORD equitable, until
   I had to explain to you carefully that the word was
   not synonymous with Equal. (that's why we have 2
   different words.)
MJ
I made no claim that equitable was synonymous
with equal.

Thew
   We were discussing behaviors of the state - and
   its responsibility.
MJ
A LEGITIMATE State is a collective application of
the individual's right to his own life.  Any other
'State' merely provides advantage to some at the
expense of others.

I am not certain what 'responsibilities' you imagine
apply, but ....

Thew
   It is not JUST or FAIR (equitable) that a greater
   burden is placed on those who can least shoulder
   it, while those who can best do so, use their
   resources to ensure they do not have to, while
   the same resources could be used more
   EQUITABLY, especially in the name of some
   fictional SAMENESS (equality), that is really
   just a cover for lack of compassion for the other,
   or the society they are riding atop.
MJ
Nonsense.

I have no problem with YOU voluntarily providing YOUR
resources to those YOU deem in need.  I do, however,
have a problem with YOU *FORCING* me to provide
MY resources to those YOU deem in need.

Of course you need your bifurcation in order to hide
your lust for enslavement and theft.

What is not JUST or FAIR (equitable) is that
a greater burden is placed on some, while
others are exempted.  ALL individuals should
be treated EQUAL(ly) by Government.  This is
the ONLY method that is EQUITABLE.  After
all one is supposed to have EQUALITY under
the law.

Thew
  Compassion for others is one of the few legitimate
  uses of government I can imagine.
MJ
Stealing from some citizens is not compassion.

Thew
   We can do better that coldhearted slavery to the bottom
   line - as a nation, as individuals, and as humanity.
MJ
Continuing with your bifurcation ...

Thew
    Equal is not equitable.

eq·ui·ta·ble
   Marked by or having equity; just and impartial.
e·qual
   Having the same quantity, measure, or value
    as another.

MJ
If Joe and Steve pay $1 in taxes, their burden is EQUAL.
The Government REQUIRING Joe and Steve pay $1
in taxes is EQUITABLE.

If Joe pays $1 and Steve pays $2, their burden is UNequal.
The Government REQUIRING Joe to pay $1 and Steve
pay $2 in taxes is INequitable.

Regard$,
--MJ

When a private enterprise fails, it is
closed down. When a government enterprise
fails, it is expanded. -- Milton Friedman