-Caveat Lector-

Was it Acton who stated, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" ?  It
resembles prosecution of a war:  adopt a plan and stick to it (or the
analogy could be based on a cookie recipe); make minor modifications as
required to suit to taste but basically it'll look the same at the
beginning as will at the end.  I think this is the majority view:  they
have their plan and they're sticking to it, sticking it to whomever the
plan applies.  I can see the decision logic table now:  "Did X occur?" "If
so, go to step 2; if not, abort {return to beginning}."  I wonder how far
along they are ...

Vortex?  Eye of the Storm?  It's calm in there, isn't it?  Start to move
out of it and they'll tell us to stay put where it's safe!!!

I think any feelings about the 'people' may be secondary (review the words
about D. Fox and 'innocent' casualties); as Newt and others have said, the
U.S. is a strong country and is able to withstand war and impeachment and
the holiday festivities.  Is it Tim ("Cokie") Allen on his "Tool Time" show
who keeps pressing for 'more power' ? ... it fits the overall scheme of
bigger, better, faster -- buzz of POWER!  Take the toys away and they get
pouty (see Newt).

~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R

The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes
but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust

----------
: We do, indeed, live in interesting times. I wish I felt as confident
: as you that we could just "ride out" the storm. Why do I have the
: feeling that we will be pulled into the vortex by a Republican
: majority that has already expressed its deepest contempt for the
: majority of the American people.
:
:
: