Oh, please. "Energy shortages" in California?!? Enron was gaming the system! The whole thing was completely manufactured!

What "doesn't work" is continuing w/ the Bush Cartel's insane (and insanely anti-environmental) energy policy. Even the damn *Pentagon* game out and said we MUST address global warming.

Here's a "positive solution" for you: Invest in and provide incentives for renewable energy development, and slap *real* fines on corporate polluters. Develop hybrid SUVs. Demand better fuel economy. Provide tax breaks for fuel-conserving vehicles (and *not* for H2s, which is Bush's break). Practice smart fire control -- engage in controlled burns, and allow naturally-occurring (i.e., lightning-sparked) forest fires to burn (within reason, and not at the expense of personal property or safety).

As for Saddam, well he *was* our friend, wasn't he? We certainly had no qualms about selling him lots of nasty chemicals in the '80s, did we? He became our much-needed boogieman after the Cold War ended when he oh-so-conveniently stepped outside his "good puppet" boundaries. While we pretended not to look...

Of course, on the plus side, if ill-informed knee-jerk nature haters like yourself get your way, my house will be oceanfront property by the time my kids retire! If only they could still breathe the air...

-eh