-Caveat Lector-

"ric carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

> # SATELLITE ZOOMING IN. Feeling watched? Maybe it's the new hi-res cameras
> that will soon be storing and selling pictures of cars, crosswalks, and
> people. www.wired.com/news/news/email/tip/technology/story/19352.html

<snip>
That, of course, assumes they can *find* the damn thing...
http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/tip/business/story/19372.html

                     Imaging Satellite Lost in Space
                     Wired News Report

                     7:25 a.m.  28.Apr.99.PDT
                     Ikonos, where are you?

                     Denver-based Space Imaging had lauded
                     the Ikonos 1 as the first satellite to provide
                     high-resolution images for sale to a range
                     of industries, from farming to construction.
                     But hours after its debut launch on
                     Tuesday, operators said they had failed to
                     receive signals from the orbiter.

                     Or, as Space Imaging's Web site put it,
                     Iknonos had "experienced an anomaly."

                     Ikonos, built by Lockheed Martin Missiles &
                     Space, was shot into space atop a
                     Lockheed Martin Athena II rocket that lifted
                     off from California's Vandenberg Air Force
                     Base shortly before noon on Tuesday. And
                     then?

                     "We are gravely disappointed that we have
                     not established contact with the Ikonos
                     satellite as of this time," Space Imaging's
                     chief executive officer John Copple said.
                     Copple did not say if Space Imaging
                     expected to eventually make contact with
                     the satellite, but said the twin satellite
                     Ikonos 2 had been built, just in case.

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.