-Caveat Lector-

Greek Bus Passengers Taken Hostage

By DEREK GATOPOULOS
.c The Associated Press

SALONICA, Greece (AP) -- A bus hijacked by an Albanian gunman and carrying at
least nine Greek hostages crossed the border into Albania early Saturday,
police said.

Armed with an Kalashnikov assault rifle and hand a grenade, the 25-year-old
man was identified only by his first name, Anton. He received the $160,000 he
had demanded from Greek police but refused to release any hostages.

A large convoy of police, ambulances and journalists that had trailed the bus
for 15 hours in an erratic course across northern Greece was left behind at
the frontier.

Five police officers were given permission to follow the bus into Albania but
were expected to return immediately.

The gunman, a migrant worker, had earlier appeared on television looking
weary. In incoherent and slurred speech, he claimed he had been mistreated by
police and had been wrongly convicted of theft and weapons possession.

``I'm not doing this for money. I'm doing this because of what they've done
to me,'' he said. ``What I've asked for is very little.''

The gunman, seen smoking continuously and clutching a grenade, had repeatedly
asked to speak with Greek Premier Costas Simitis.

Passengers who spoke on television by mobile phone said they were in good
condition.

Top Greek government officials contacted their colleagues in Albania to
coordinate the police operations, state television said.

``The safety of the hostages is of the utmost importance,'' said Public Order
Minister Michalis Chrisohoidis.

The gunman commandeered the bus in the village of Scholari, 18 miles east of
the northern port city of Salonica on Friday morning. Five women were
released soon afterward.

For more than ten hours, he held an armed grenade before he was persuaded to
throw it out the bus and into an empty field.