-Caveat Lector-

"M.A. Johnson" wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> nurev wrote:
>    That's not the point. These people don't like any kind of
>    democracy because they are essentially elitist and resent
>    being restricted by society.
>
> MJ:
> Straw man, non sequitur, ad hominem ...
>
> Some people favor freedom, liberty and equality over
> the whims of the majority.

Favor what you like, but you can't have that in a complex society.
That's life. If you don't like it, go live in a cave.

> Regard$,
> --MJ
>
> A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can
> only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves
> money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority
> always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the
> Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses
> over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship.
> -- Alexander Fraser Tyler, "The Decline and Fall of the Athenian
> Republic"

Well, we finally agree on something. The above statement is true.
The problem is that there has not been enough Democracy to achieve
the above status. Were we at that point, I would agree that democracy
is a problem.

Instead, we have a Plutocracy/Kleptocracy which functions under the
guise
of a democracy because it is democracy which is desireable to the
people.
As long as they can vote in a rigged political system they won't
revolt
against the Plutocrats.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind my beloved Libertarian
friends that the current political situation was achieved, and is
maintained
by a Rupublican form of government. Not a Democracy, a Republic.

So don't be complaining about Democracy, which we have precious little
of.
The problem is a Republic in the hands of Plutocrats. And let's
see...who
was it that chose a republican form of government for this country? Oh
yeah!
It was those 18th century Plutocrats who set this up. And what did
they call
that manifesto for the rich? The Constitution?

Joshua2