-Caveat Lector-

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:06:26 -0500
From: Jake Levich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ABOUT TODAY - Child Porn Ban Nixed; Nuclear Meat; More

ABOUT TODAY

---------------------------- HOT TODAY ---------------------------

CHILD PORN BAN STRUCK DOWN
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has overturned a portion of the Child
Pornography Prevention Act, ruling 2-1 that the government may not ban
explicit images that only appear to depict children. Law Guide Paul Reed
discusses a landmark ruling.
http://law.about.com/library/weekly/aa122099a.htm

MEAT THAT GLOWS IN THE DARK?
In a decision that has some consumers worried, the USDA will allow the food
processing industry to nuke raw meat and poultry with doses of ionizing
radiation. Nutrition Guide Rick Hall has the facts.
http://nutrition.about.com/library/weekly/aa122099a.htm

:::::::::::::::::::::::::: Advertisement :::::::::::::::::::::::::
20% off your first purchase, with free shipping. Come shop at GoodHome.com
for the Holidays! Whether you're looking for that one-of-kind gift, or
decorating for the Holidays, find what you're searching for at GoodHome.com.
http://clicks.about.com/357/1772.htm?PM=135

-------------------------- Headline News -------------------------

* Montreal Police Scour Bomb Plot Suspect's Van
* Castro Urges Resumption of Anti-U.S. Protests
* Russian Communists Claim Victory in Election

For these stories and more, visit About.com's News Center.
http://newscenter.about.com/news/index.html

-------------------------- Today's Poll --------------------------

WHAT'S THE BEST MOVIE OF THE CENTURY?
http://today.about.com/blpoll.htm

------------------------ Special From Jake -----------------------

HOW TO ...
Sure, YOU know the score. As for us, though, we couldn't get out of bed in
the morning without an instruction manual. That's why we turn to About.com
Guides when we need to know how to do something ... without looking like
rank imbeciles.

Today's selections:

* Assemble a basic home repair toolkit
* Become a foster parent
* Choose the right TV
* Report gambling winnings to the IRS
* Use a scanner

http://today.about.com/library/blhow.htm

--------------------------- More About ---------------------------

* Kmart to offer free Net access, from Freebies Guide Lee Seats.
http://freebies.about.com/library/weekly/aa121999a.htm

* Jobs in the next millennium, from Job Search Guide Alison Doyle.
http://jobsearch.about.com/library/weekly/aa121999a.htm

* Surprising gains for Russian centrists, from Russia Guide Linda DeLaine.
http://russianculture.about.com/library/weekly/aa122099a.htm

--------------------------- Talk About ---------------------------

TODAY'S CHAT HIGHLIGHTS
Birding * Infertility * Country Music * Job Searching * More
Times and details: http://talk.about.com/chatcentral/index.htm

FORUM POST OF THE DAY: Is Bush a Dim Bulb?
U.S. Government: Fri, Dec 17, 5:41 pm ET
"Bush might not be the brightest light in the harbor, but he probably isn't
as complete an idiot as he has thus far been portrayed. OTOH, it now seems
clear that, as Ann Richards said, this is a guy who was born on third base
and thought he hit a triple." --MIKEOHARA1
http://about.delphi.com/ab-usgovinfo/start/?msg=129.7

:::::::::::::::::::::::::: Advertisement :::::::::::::::::::::::::
Don't panic. Order wonderful gifts from Send.Com by midnight this Tuesday,
Dec. 21, for free shipping and guaranteed Christmas delivery. Many elegant
gifts under $50.
http://clicks.about.com/374/1879.htm?PM=135

------------------------ Don't Forget About ----------------------

COMPARISON SHOPPING
http://shopping.about.com/comparison/

HOLIDAY CARDS
http://cards.about.com/holiday/index.htm

HOLIDAY SHOPPING CENTER
http://shopcenter.about.com/holiday/

To remove your email address from this newsletter, go here:

Check boxes as appropriate, enter the email address under which you're
subscribed, and click the "Unsubscribe" button.

Please be sure to enter your email address exactly as you did when subscribing.

FEEDBACK: Give me a piece of your mind -- or several pieces. I can't always
respond to your mail, but I read it.

Jake Levich, About.com Editorial Director
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://About.com
"Expert Guides to help you find/learn/share"

*About This Newsletter*

You are currently subscribed to the About.com Today newsletter.