</A> -Cui Bono?-

http://www.apbnews.com/media/gfiles/dixon/index.html

 Psychic Jeane Dixon Was FBI Stooge

 Maligned Civil Rights Movement With Hoover's Approval

 By Joe Beaird
 Dec. 27, 1999

 NEW YORK (APBnews.com) -- Soothsayer Jeane Dixon helped the FBI
 fight leftist campus agitators during the 1960s by secretly
 serving as the bureau's mouthpiece, according to her FBI file,
 which was obtained by APBnews.com.

 Dixon -- who vaulted to fame when credited with foretelling
 President John F. Kennedy's death in office -- was one of the
 nation's highest profile psychics when she died of a heart
 attack in 1997.

 Her FBI file, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act,
 also documents a brazen extortion attempt against her, a cozy
 relationship with J. Edgar Hoover, and angry requests for the
 bureau to investigate her for her sometimes-inflammatory
 prophecies.

 But Dixon, the Wisconsin-born daughter of German immigrants who
 went on to advise first lady Nancy Reagan, had friends and
 support at the highest levels of the bureau. Personally
 approving her offer to help the FBI in 1966, Hoover hand wrote
 on her file: "OK. She is a very reputable person."

 Dixon speaks against civil rights movement

 After casually meeting an FBI special agent at a social
 function, Dixon asked him for materials to include in her
 speeches that would undermine support for left-wing groups,
 according to a bureau memo. She pledged to use the information
 in her speeches "in such a manner that it cannot be attributed
 to the FBI," the memo reads. "Thus, the 'left-wing' groups
 could not claim she was a mouthpiece for the FBI."

 The feds ultimately sent Dixon background information on groups
 orchestrating the Vietnam War and civil rights protests that
 the FBI deemed "campus turbulence."

 And Dixon, in turn, told the public that saw her as an oracle
 that the country's "real enemy is Russia." In a newspaper
 article included in her file, she is quoted as saying that the
 Russians were the masterminds behind the civil rights movement.

 Hoover comes aboard

 Dixon's good relations with the FBI continued through 1968,
 when Hoover agreed to serve as an honorary director to the
 psychic's Children to Children Inc.,  a foundation established
 to alleviate child suffering and disease.

 The foundation still exists today, although its fund raising
 has suffered since Dixon's death, according to Tony Tringale,
 the group's current vice president. Dixon lived off the family
 real estate business and donated her celebrity prophecy income
 to the charity, Tringale said.

 "She was a very dear lady," Tringale told APBnews.com. "Once
 you get away from The Star and the predictions, she had a very
 big heart."

 FBI raised an eyebrow at controversial statements

 But her life was never free of controversy. And she touched off
 a flurry of internal memos at the FBI with a 1969 National
 Enquirer article claiming that four Soviet leaders "instigated,
 financed, and controlled" student uprisings and race riots in
 the United States.

 "While we have no information as that referred to by Jeane
 Dixon," reads a bureau memo by C.D. Brennan, "we felt it
 necessary to note Communist participation in international
 peace groups including those from the Soviet Union, the U.S.
 and other nations."

 But in a handwritten note at the bottom of Brennan's memo,
 Hoover defends Dixon's basic conclusions. He stresses that
 Soviet financial support for the U.S. Communist Party is
 well-established, and that the party helped lead many student
 demonstrations.

 "I still think we are playing a game in semantics," Hoover
 wrote. "We know that the Soviet Govt. is financially supporting
 the U.S.C.P. [U.S. Communist Party] & we know U.S.C.P. has led
 many of the student uprisings and race riots."

 She asked for protection, but didn't get it

 But while Hoover appeared to look kindly on Dixon, the bureau
 denied her 1970 request for personal protection for a speech
 she was giving in Greenwood, Miss.

 Dixon had received a telegram telling her that her speech would
 be delivered to a "completely segregated" group, which she felt
 was an implied threat. Nevertheless, the bureau denied her
 request and referred her to the Greenwood Police Department for
 protection, if necessary.

 Life as a public oracle inspired at least one person to send a
 string of threats against Dixon, her file reveals.

 In 1977 alone, one extortionist -- whose name has been redacted
 from the FBI file -- sent her 10 threatening telegrams and
 letters.

 "I'm terribly hard pressed for money," one telegram reads.
 "Send me some financial help immediately or I'll take drastic
 action. Either you help me quick or it's going to be the
 worst."

 Another letter predicts the psychic's "total ruination."

 The Seattle FBI field office investigated the threats, but the
 results are not included in the file.

 Request that Dixon be investigated

 If Dixon was sometimes an extortion target, others saw her
 annual predictions -- which were widely syndicated in The Star
 tabloid and elsewhere - as such a threat that they sent them to
 the FBI with a request that their author be investigated.

 In a 1971 letter to Hoover and Sen. Hale Boggs, one disgruntled
 conspiracy theorist claims that Dixon, through partisan
 bloodlust, "has been permitted to mark all of our Democrat
 Leaders [sic] for bodily harm. She has marked Ted Kennedy for
 murder over and over again ... and has everybody thinking kill,
 kill, kill."

 "I am requesting an official investigation into the actions of
 Mrs. Jeane L. Dixon," the letter concludes.

 In 1971, after Dixon revealed that there was a spy highly
 placed in the U.S. government who reported directly to Russia,
 several government informants sent the article directly to
 Hoover.

 "Why don't you ask her who it is?" one alert citizen wrote
 Hoover. There is, in Dixon's file, no record of what action the
 FBI director took.

 Joe Beaird is an APBnews.com staff writer
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

 ©Copyright 2000 APB Multimedia Inc. All rights reserved.

.