from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin
Grabbe</A>
-----
Information Warfare

US Navy Installs Stealth Operating System

Admiral Hornblower says: "Blow me, hackers!"

Norfolk, VA - Today, the US Navy has announced that it is embarking in a
complete revamping of their onboard computer systems. The new initiative,
code named Stealth Operating Systems (SOS), and based on Microsoft's Windows
NT, is based on reducing visibility to hacker attacks through reduced up time
of the systems.

"We took our cue from the Air Force's approach to stealth" said Admiral IM
Sunk, head of IT Systems for the Atlantic Fleet. "They make their F-117
harder to hit by reducing the radar signature. In our case, we took that a
bit further by reducing the time the systems are up to almost zero. That
makes them impervious to security beaches, since enemy hackers can never know
when our systems are up. Likewise, it makes denial-of-service attacks moot,
since most of the time the systems are re-booting anyway. The submarine guys
are specially happy with it: they say the blue screens illuminate the sub's
interior quite nicely"

Although the Navy has been working closely with the Redmond software giant
for the last two years, Admiral Sunk tells us that many other OS's were
considered for the new initiative, including the underdog favorite, Linux.
"At the beginning, we had some really smart youngsters from the Naval Academy
recommending this Linux thingie. They said it was fast, sleek, efficient,
cost effective, and that a monkey on LSD could use it. We were all gung-ho
for it, until we saw how stable it was. I mean, the damn thing never crashed!
At the time the stealth requirement was classified, so, despite their
protests, and without explaining to them why, we switched to Windows NT"

Vice-President Al Gore, technology point-man for the Clinton administration,
and father of the Internet, agrees that the Navy is taking the right steps.
"When I first suggested to Alan Turing the idea of a machine into which could
be coded the definition of any other machine, national security was the
furthest thing from my mind. Clearly, a Turing Machine that only stops when
we want it to does not fit the Navy's needs. I think Microsoft's solution to
the halting problem is a great innovation."

Admiral Sunk says that the Allies are warming to the idea, and that even the
Russians are glad that the US Navy has this technology. "The other day I was
at this reception in Fort Meade, and I was talking to a Russian computer
scientist about the SOS. He started to laugh maniacally, then excused himself
and made some phone calls. I think the Russians are coming to accept our
technological advantage."

The "Classified Top Secret" Public Daily News Bulletin, September 6, 2000

$25,000 per CD

Judge Jed Rake-the-Money-Off-the-Table Contemplates Suicide

Gee, Judge, is it time for Jim Bell's Assassination Politics?

Is it time to send the Judge an Internet message?

NEW YORK (AP) - A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Internet
music-sharing service MP3.com willfully violated the copyrights of record
companies, and ordered it to pay Universal Music Group $25,000 per CD, or
roughly $118 million.

U.S. District Judge Jed S. Rakoff said it was necessary to send a message to
the Internet community to deter copyright infringement.

Rakoff said he could have awarded as much as $150,000 per CD but chose a
considerably smaller amount, in part because MP3.com had acted more
responsibly than other Internet startups.

Universal Music Group, the world's largest record company, had urged a stiff
penalty in the closely watched case.

``Music is a media and the next infringement may be very different,'' said
Universal lawyer Hadrian Katz. ``It may be video or it may be film or it may
be books or it may be something very different.''

Katz had urged the judge to award the record company up to $450 million
because MP3.com had copied 5,000 to 10,000 of the company's CDs.

The lawyer said such a penalty would cost MP3.com as much as $3.6 billion
once the company was forced to pay all the other companies whose copyrights
it had violated when it created an online catalog of 80,000 CDs.

Associated Press, September 6, 2000
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.