"There's a chip in my head"
For several years in the late 1990s, Boulder Weekly editors and writers were
treated to routine visits by a former Disneyland employee who insisted the
company had rendered him unconscious to implant a chip in his head. He
begged Boulder Weekly to pay for surgery to remove the chip, in return for
the opportunity to photograph the procedure. We passed, but couldn't help
but wonder what types of conspiracy theories would emerge should society
ever accept the overt use of human implant technology.
No matter how creepy some Americans find the prospect of implant technology,
no one can stop its creation. "Technology is continually trumping the
constitutional guarantees that we have," says Gray. He'd like to see
protections against the misuse of such chips as they become commercially
available: "Citizens could ask for a law that made it a crime to put these
into a person without their permission, and to forbid, under any conditions,
for the government to put these into prisoners, parolees, illegal aliens,
soldiers, citizens." He's even proposed "only half joking" a "Cyborg Bill of
Rights" to help ensure that "new technologies are chosen democratically and
we do not have to accept every new technology that invades our freedoms."
‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Boulder Weekly
September 21-27, 2000

Digital Angel
Microchip implants for humans may eliminate autonomy any day
- - - - - - - - - - - -
by Katherine Mieszkowski and staff reporters ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Worry no more, doting parents! Whether it's your little pumpkin's first day
walking home from school by herself or the millionth time you've lost her at
the mall, the Babysitterª will track your sweetpea's location using a
jellybean-sized microchip implant, discreetly tucked under the skin of her
collarbone. You'll be able to chart her every move. What better way to give
her independence, and put your mind at ease?
Also available: The Constant Companionª lets you keep a watchful eye on
grandma and grandpa, even when you can't be by their side; The Invisible
Bodyguardª offers freedom from fear so you can enjoy the fauna and foliage
when eco-tourism takes you to kidnapping-hot spots around the globe. Coming
soon: The INS Border Patrollerª; the Maximum Security Guardª; the Personal
Private Eyeª; the Micro-Managerª.
Alas, this is not as far-fetched or as futuristic as it sounds. The
whoa-dude notion of surveillance chips being installed in human beings is
poised to cross over from the realm of science fiction into everyday
reality, and soon. One technology with the deliciously sci-fi name of the
"Digital Angel," a prototype of which will be unveiled next month, could be
implanted under the skin and used to monitor not only the chip-wearer's
location, but vital signs like heart rate and body temperature. Other
devices, worn externally like bracelets or pagers, are already in use and
invite us to embrace electronic monitoring in specific environments like a
theme park, college campus or construction site for our fun, health or
safety.
The technology was born in Boulder, where Destron Corporation invented the
microchip implant for pet and livestock identification. Unlike the Digital
Angel, which evolved from animal implant technology, the Destron chips are
designed transmit only a few feet to a scanner.

Spying on salmon
Today, the chips and a variety of imitations, are in millions of American
dogs and cats. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service implants them in salmon to
track their migration habits and survival trends in the Snake and Columbia
Rivers. Ducts that bypass hydro-electric dams have been outfitted with
scanners that collect data as the fish swim by.
Although Destron never intended for chips to be implanted in humans, the
company's technology led to it.
"On one hand, society has a tremendous need for a practical identification
system for humans," says Bob Stewart, of Boulder, who was the head of
engineering for Destron before the company moved to Minneapolis in 1992.
"More than a half million Americans have their identities stolen every year.
On the other hand, implanting chips into humans brings up serious issues of
privacy and Big Brother. It conjures images of Nazis branding Jews for easy
identification."
What's also disturbing is just how quickly these devices, which only
recently would have been laughed off as a cyborg fantasy, are becoming
accepted. Amazingly, it was but two years ago that a British cybernetics
professor pulled what then seemed like a futuristic stunt: temporarily
installing electronics in his arm to control his computer remotely.
Now having a personal chip is becoming, well, not quite the norm but a ready
possibility. Kevin Warwick, the cybernetics prof, says, "As the topic
becomes more accessible in the media, people get used to the idea; it's not
such a frightening thing...If it's not there this year, it's only a year or
two downstream." A Japanese firm is already testing chips to track lost
relatives. And the New York Times, in a nod to what its editors imagine the
future might hold now that the human genome project is complete, asked
several designers to suggest how we might carry around a chip encoded with
our unique genetic sequence "for perfect identification in matters medical,
official, criminal or otherwise." Some of the possibilities portrayed in the
July 9 Sunday magazine: a "decoder" ring, an implant in the human iris to be
read with a retinal scanner, even an oval-shaped "genegg" for the belly
button.
Stewart agrees that implant technology has an amazing future of sinister and
productive applications. He disagrees, however, that it's only a few years
out.
"It's a bit of a stretch to say in just a few years we'll be able to track
all sorts of people with Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) technology and
read all sorts of information about them," Stewart says. "The developers of
Digital Angel would like to convince investors of that. But in reality,
we're talking about a significant amount of functionality in one very small
space. I suspect it's going to be 10 to 15 years before we see the
successful, wide-scale use of this technology."
The ability to simply scan and identify pets, for example, was a long row to
hoe. Destron began developing the technology in Boulder back in 1970s. Only
in the mid 1990s did the technology advance to the point where
veterinarians, pet owners and animal shelters trusted it enough to start
buying chips and scanners. Today, however, the system works well. Lost pets
are scanned. If a small glass rice-sized capsule containing a chip has been
installed in the pet, it transmits a number. A coinciding number on a
central registry reveals the pet owners address and phone number.
But Digital Angel promoters counter critics, such as Stewart, by reminding
them that technology advances exponentially. And with commercial interests
hard at work to spread the gospel of human tracking and monitoring
voluntarily, and for our own good, of course and others normalizing chip
implantation, it might not be too soon to start preparing for a whole new
silicon craze. Excuse me, but is that a chip in your ass?

The power problem
GPS technology already exists to track us wherever we might care to go the
problem is keeping the sensor up and running, giving off signals all the
time from inside of our bodies. Thus far, the biggest technological
challenge is energy; a tracking chip needs a power source. Think how
annoying it would be to have to plug your arm into the wall to recharge
yourself like a pesky cellphone; besides, it would make it near-impossible
to thwart kidnappers or retrieve lost kiddies if rescuers didn't find the
missing subject before the charge died. There's also the vexing dilemma of
getting the chip and its power source small enough for comfort and
aesthetics. Who wants an unsightly chip bulge?
Chris Hables Gray, an associate professor of computer science and the
cultural study of science and technology at the University of Great Falls in
Montana, says that researchers have been working to find just such a small,
self-generating power source by tapping everything from body heat to the
electrical pulses in the muscles. There's even been talk of putting
teensy-weensy nanotechnology machines to work as miniature waterwheels in
the bloodstream so the heart itself could be the power source. The heart
running your chip: It's practically poetic.
Dr. Daniel Man, a famous plastic surgeon in Boca Raton, Fla., holds the
patent for an implantable microchip, encased in glass, with a battery he
says can be recharged by radio signal.
And one company claims that it has the ultimate solution to the power-source
conundrum. It has a patent on "the solution," although executives won't yet
reveal the technical details of how it actually works. Applied Digital
Solutions didn't invent it, but purchased the patent for a "personal
tracking and recovery system," which the company has dubbed Digital Angel.
According to CEO Richard Sullivan, Digital Angel combines GPS wireless
communications with biosensors, powered by body heat in the form of a
dime-sized chip, which can be embedded in a watch, bracelet or medallion,
even under your flesh should the FDA approve such an invasive thing.
"It's like a live radio signal all the time," he says. Sullivan sees a $100
billion potential market for the technology, which is still under
development with help from researchers at Princeton University and the New
Jersey Institute of Technology. The company will hold a gala in New York in
October to show off the prototype, and try to drum up investment to finance
actual products.
"They're going to use this event to stir up a lot of excitement, and will
probably try to make it sound as if this is all just right around the
corner," says Stewart. "It's on the horizon, but I'm skeptical that this is
going to work the way they say it will anytime in the next few years."

Miracle cures
Considering the potential applications, should the thing actually work as
the company claims it does? Just use your imagination, folks. Sullivan
envisions kiddies having their own Digital Angels watching over them in case
of a snatching. Or caretakers installing them in patients with Alzheimer's
disease to prevent the old folks from wandering off. And just wait until the
military gets a load of this one in every soldier to track not only their
whereabouts, but their very mortality, in real time. No future questions
about prisoners of war are they dead or alive and where are they? some 30
years after a conflict on foreign turf.
The device could save the lives of employees in extremely hazardous
workplaces, such as nuclear power plants.
Come to think of it, a medallion worn around the neck that's powered by your
very body heat doesn't seem any more invasive than some of the things that
companies already do to their employees, so why not a chip in every last
cube? Better still, dispense with those pesky keycards to get in and out of
the office, and just have the whole thing implanted in your left butt cheek.
If you're not already wondering how you and your loved ones made it this far
without a single chip implant, just consider all the medical applications.
Picture a system that would constantly monitor a heart disease sufferer's
pulse rate or a diabetes patient's sugar levels and notify medical help when
things were looking dangerous. We accept pacemakers as a necessary and
important technology to extend and enhance the quality of lives. How is this
any different?
Sullivan brushes off concerns about privacy by promising that the
chip-wearer will be able to control when he or she is, uh, switched on,
although he won't yet say how exactly that will work. The Digital Angel
website puts it bluntly: "The unit can be turned off by the wearer, thereby
making the monitoring voluntary. It will not intrude on personal privacy
except in applications applied to the tracking of criminals."

Inevitable abuse
Maybe so, but the potential for abuse is so ludicrously high that it's
almost impossible to overstate. You can just see the Michael Douglas-Sharon
Stone Hollywood version, where the jealous husband gives an opulent
anniversary watch with the chip inside it to his cheating wife, so he can
obsessively monitor her movements, her body temperature, the very
acceleration of the pounding of her heart rate...until she figures it out,
and puts the chip to work against him.
To makers of tracking technologies, these Big Brother worst-case scenarios
sound like the same griping that has met all sorts of other advancements we
now blithely accept, like Social Security numbers, credit cards that catalog
our every purchase and even e-mail.
"We believe that the benefits of the technology to a parent looking for a
child at a theme park or a student feeling safe walking across campus far
outweigh some of those concerns," says Tom Turner, senior vice president of
marketing and business development for a company called WhereNet, which
makes a technology that can be used to find people or objects in a specific,
local environment. "It's individual choice."
So far, WhereNet has licensed its technology to companies that make
bracelets worn on the wrist or pager-like devices carried in a pocket or
purse. It's in use at Water World, a water theme park southeast of Boulder,
and on the campuses of the University of South Florida in Tampa and the
University of South Alabama in Mobile. Turner sees a future for such gadgets
on cruise ships, in gated communities and at shopping malls.
Stewart says once the technology is reliable, chips could be programmed to
screen potential customers. Imagine a world in which one must be embedded
with a microchip in order to enter major shopping malls. Imagine if the
courts could program the chips in repeat-offender shoplifters to set off a
buzzer if they enter stores that want to screen them out.
How about chips that warn potential employers of applicants with criminal
records? All of this may sound extreme today, but the potential economic
ramifications could make such exercises politically popular. Americans have
shown time and time again a willingness to exchange privacy and a variety of
civil liberties for safety and security. A recent survey determined that the
average American, for example, is subject to the scrutiny of public and
private surveillance cameras installed in businesses, on highways and in a
variety of public venues three times a day. Yet there's little public outcry
from the public. TV executives have even managed to popularize the practice
with low-budget shows in which the audience watches tape of people involved
in crimes and automobile accidents.

Just keep us safe
Brendan Fitzgerald minces no words regarding the profit potential in
products that enhance safety and security to consumers. Fitzgerald is
president of Microgistics, which produces a device call WalkMate. It's to be
used by college students to alert campus police if they're in danger.
Remember the gang rape of a University of Colorado Student last year? What
if cops could have found her while the crime was in progress? The potential,
in cases like that, give some Americans warm and fuzzy feelings about Big
Brother. Bring on Big Brother and let him kick the criminal element's
collective ass.
Fitzgerald thinks the benefits of human tracking technology are clearly
greater than the risks. "If you were working in a hazardous industrial
environment, you would want to know that you could push a button and have
someone help you if you need help. 'I fell into the vat of boiling acid!'"
The safety-first logic is hard to argue with, even when it starts to veer
from help when you need it to totally transparent surveillance when you're
at work.
Sullivan, of Applied Digital Systems, dismisses nagging doubts about what it
means to literally wire ourselves up. "By our own nature, we tend to avoid
things we know the least about and gravitate towards those that we do know.
Some of the things that have made the most positive contributions to our
lives are the things that there are the most concern about. Like any
technology, it's really in the hands of the user," he says. Translation:
It's Galileo vs. the Church all over again.
OK, Dr. Jekyll, you've convinced us. We're ready for our implants. Let us be
the first to sign up for our very own chip body modifications. What list do
we put our names on? In fact, we want our chips secured on the outside of
our skin in order to show them off and impress everyone as to just how wired
we've become. Surely it will be the next big thing filling the void left by
the waning trendiness of tattoos, piercing, scarification. Visualize
"chipification."
However fashionable or discreet tracking devices might become, not everyone
is titillated by the possibilities. "I think most people would be repulsed
by the idea. This is just a sort of modern version of tattooing people,
something that for obvious reasons the Nazis tattooed numbers on people no
one proposes," says Bob Gellman, a Washington privacy consultant. "You can
do anything you want voluntarily. You can tattoo a bar code on your forehead
if you want."
But the real question, as he sees it, is who will be able to demand that a
chip be implanted in another person a parent in a child; a prison warden in
an inmate; the INS in an undocumented illegal alien found in the country; an
employer in an employee as a condition of being hired? A judge, tired of
seeing the same shoplifters, or drunk drivers, over and over again?
Isn't this illegal?
"I'm sure there's a strong argument that implanting a chip in a person is
unconstitutional. It would be cruel and unusual punishment," Gellman says.
And for now the legal and social questions of who could turn such a chip on
or off and who would have access to the information generated by such a chip
is "a totally unexplored area," says Gellman, adding: "And probably one
better off left unexplored."
Others see the chipification of humans as all but inevitable. Professor
Chris Hables Gray, a self-proclaimed "cyborgologist" and author of the
forthcoming book Cyborg Citizen, says it really doesn't matter whether or
not the Digital Angel flies in October. "If this company doesn't do it,
someone else will," he says. And watch out when they do.
"They will start implanting them in prisoners, parolees, child abusers, sex
offenders and drunk drivers," he predicts. Gray says that it's been a
military project for some 20 years to find a way to track every soldier on
the battlefield. Remember when Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh
complained of having been a part of a Gulf War experiment that implanted a
chip in his butt? "McVeigh kept saying that he was being controlled by a
chip in his ass," says Gray. The cyborgologist isn't saying he believes the
bomber, of course, but cites circumstantial evidence that the military may
have been experimenting with such tracking devices, and "if the military
starts to say we will put these chips into every Marine's ass, they have no
protection from that."

[...]

© 2000 Boulder Weekly. All Rights Reserved.