-Caveat Lector-

> Why do people equate "[educating] every single member to the greatest
>extent of their ability" with maintaining the current public school
>fiasco in many cities?

           > I don't. I do, however, recognize that taking money away from an already
            >cash strapped system will only make it worse.
           > Nessie

This is Government School propaganda and makes no sense.
Money is not the basic problem. Wash DC spends about $10,000 per
kid and they are dumber then ever.

For every kid that leaves Government School to attend private school, it costs
the Government School System that much less. The amount of the vouchers
is less then the per kid Government School subsidy.

An alternative to Government Schools scares the hell out of the NEA
and the huge gaggle of high paid Govt School Bureacrats.

The fact that EVERY Senator and Congresscritter sends his little darling
to private school says it all. The fact that PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS
send their kids to private school at a higher proportion then the general
population says it even louder. They use the Govt School System to earn
a living off the taxpayer but would never send their kids there.

The Govt School System is the greatest boondoggle ever devised by man.
EDD U KA SHUN has replaced the phony Cold War as the new taxpayer
rip off.
flw

>Why should I be happy about my tax dollars supporting such an
enterprise?

What you should be unhappy about is that the tax money that could fix
the schools is being spent by the Pentagon on weapons for a war that
ended ten years ago.

>I'm sure the government does many things with your tax money that you
consider criminal or immoral; I find the perpetuation and protection of
failing tax-funded schools to be one of these things. We're depriving
many, many people of the basic level of literacy needed to function.

What, and spending even less money on their education will make it
better!?! Gimme a break.

>So when you have an idea on how the public schools can educate people
to the fullest extent of their ability in Detroit, and Philly, and
Oakland, and
  Atlanta, and Baltimore, and Newark, and many other places, you let us
know.

Hire more, better teachers. Buy better books and equipment. Build new
school buildings. Stop wasting the money on weapons for a war that's
been over ten years.

> We've tried showering them with money and that does not work.

No, we have not. The buildings are crumbling, the books out of date and
the classes are crowded. Meanwhile, we spend money on weapons for a war
that's been over for ten years. The pentagon sucks on this country's
neck. Spend half the Pentagon budget on education and we'll see an end
to the education crisis. Spend the other half on infrastructure. We
don't NEED and army. We ARE an army. There are eighty million armed
Americans. If anybody invades, we can kill them ourselves. The military
we have now is not for defense of the American people or of American
soil; it's for advancing the overseas interests of the corporations. To
make the corporations even richer, we are robbing our children of their
education.

>I know that not from reading Ayn Rand but from looking at the schools
where I greu up.

The ones who taught you to spell?

>I don't think I'm selfish, shortsighted, or brainwashed (well how would
I know  if I was brainwashed?)

That's the real problem. Selfishness is not a natural part of the human
condition. It's an aberration that has been nurtured, fostered and
promoted by our rulers, in part through their control of the educational
process. You went to a private school. Of course they taught you to look
down on public schools. That’s how they make their living.

>I'm simply observing a disaster, expressing how I think it's robbing
and cheating so many people, and also voicing my opposition to  funding
such a thing.

It is not funding, but lack of funding, that is at the root of the
problem.

Let me give but a single example. My son graduated in 1986 from one of
the better public high schools in the Bay Area. My SO taught biology at
the same school that year, so I spent a lot of time at the place and got
to know it pretty well. I read my son’s text books. The geography books
were from 1961, before the era of decolonization. Dozens of countries
weren’t even listed. His American history book was from 1976. It
contained two (count ‘em, TWO) sentences on Viet Nam. They were both
lies. My SO regularly spent from her own meager salary to buy necessary
supplies for her class. I personally bought supplies for her class. The
ceiling tiles were hanging loose and you could see the asbestos
particles floating in the air when the sun came through the window at
the right angle. Half of the science department had active cases of
cancer that year.

Meanwhile, back in Washington, those tax-and-spend Democrats were
sitting on their hands while the borrow-and-spend Republicans were
putting my as yet unborn great grand children into debt to buy Cruise
missiles. For the cost of a single B-2 they could have rebuilt every
school building in the Bay Area.

>and what does this have to do with consipiracy????????

Our rulers want us to be uneducated because an uneducated people are
easier to manipulate.  When I was a kid, Sputnik went up and the
American establishment got scared. All of a sudden there was a ton of
money for education. Anybody who wanted to could go to college. What did
they get for their money? A whole generation of over-educated,
under-employed kids out in the street throwing rocks at them, that’s
what they got. They’ll never make that mistake again, rest assured. But
they can’t tell us that to our faces because if they did, we'd be right
back out there in the street with the rocks again. So they dumb us down
behind our backs. That's a conspiracy.