-Caveat Lector-

Ynr Chyldz Wyld wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> From: "Nurev Ind Research" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Jesus grew up in the boondocks, not the capital.
> >
> > Even so, I doubt that boonie towns were integrated.
>
> They weren't 'integrated' as much as being comprised of a mix of peoples, not all of
>whom practiced a pure
> form of the Judaic faith...

I doubt it.

> > > Pagans were common,
> > > even after nearly a millennium of Jewish repression.
> >
> > Poor Pagans. I guess the I guess the Jews gave them a hard time about
> > burring their children and other human sacrifices.
>
> Very few pagan religions in the Middle East practiced human sacrafice,

Oh really? How about Christianity? Who do you think the death and
resurrection of a god/man appealed to. Not the Jews. Human sacrifice cults
were the basis of most, if not all the religions in the post agriculture
period.

> especially 'burning' one's children...
>
> The only evidence of ritual infanticide exists in Cyprus, nowhere else...

I doubt it. Remember Moloch? He was the national god of the Ammonites. He
was worshipped by offering up human sacrifices. Most always a child from
the family. Worship of Moloch was expressly forbidden in Leviticus.

Later, Solomon permitted alters to be built to him when he consolidated
and expanded the country.( This was a millennium before Jesus.) Much later,
Josiah, the King of Judah, as part of the purification of Judah, defiled
the temples of Moloch. ' That no one might burn his son or his daughter as
an offering to Moloch' ( 2 Kgs 23:10 ) Idolatrous priests were killed. The
house of male prostitutes was destroyed. this was about 600 BCE.

> > > All the Jews did
> > > was drive out the temples. The pagans remained. Many Jews themselves
> > > were pagans or still practiced elements of pagan religion (as do we
> > > today).
> >
> > If you mean Hellenism. Yes. If you mean something else, then not likely.
> >
> > > They also married pagans.
> >
> > I doubt it.
>
> "Not likely" and "I doubt it" are hardly scholarly answers.  I suggest that
> you actually RESEARCH the history
> of religions of both the area and the era...

I have researched that place and time quite thoroughly. I'll stick with the
answers I gave.

> Intermarriage between Jews and pagans was a common problem, indicated time
> and again in the OT...

The parable of the good
Samaritan is an indicator of how separate the Jewish and Pagan cultures were.
Samaritans had the same status as tornado bait trailer trash do in certain
circles in Arkansas. The kind Samaritan was the exception to the rule.

> one would
> find more temples and altars to Baal in the countryside than Jewish temples...

The OT spans about 1600 years if you accept the standard chronology. The period
you are talking about is not the time of Mary Magdaline.

There were no Jewish temples. There was only THE Temple in Jerusalem. What you
are talking about is true early on. By the time the Romans arrived this did not
apply. There were Pagan cities which were Hellenistic or Roman. Some Semites
were forcibly converted to Judaism and were suspected of backsliding. If these
are the people you're talking about, well ok. But these are a special case. Not
the norm.

> Ongoing archeological digs substantiate this...

Good one.
J2