-Caveat Lector-

ENN - Environmental News Network

http://www.enn.com/news/wire-stories/2001/03/03252001/upi_universe_42706.asp

Our Universe Not Alone, Say Scientists

Sunday, March 25, 2001
By United Press International

Spanish and American astrophysicists claim the universe we
inhabit contains an infinite number of other universes like our
own, called O-regions, that we will someday be able to contact.

Jaume Garriga, of the University of Barcelona, and Alexander
Vilenkin, of Tufts University, call the concept "many worlds in
one."

As they explained to United Press International, these universes
are likely similar to our own - share similar life forms, for
instance - because they share a key feature with our world: a
finite number of distinct histories. A history is the way
something has evolved in time and will continue to evolve. Until
now, physicists have never been able to make such an assertion.

The team will publish their hypothesis this fall in the journal
Gravitation and Quantum Cosmology.

Are these ideas far-fetched? Alan Guth says no.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology physicist told UPI,
"Do I think that the ideas are viable? Definitely yes. In fact,
I very much admire the precision with which the ideas are
expressed. I consider the work of Alex Vilenkin and his
collaborators to be the leading work in this field."

He explained, "What is new in their article is the realization
that the total number of possible histories for each universe is
finite."

An infinite number of universes like our own is a concept Guth -
one of the foremost authorities on a concept called the
inflationary universe - finds startling.

"That's a pretty mind-boggling conclusion," Guth told UPI from
his Cambridge, Mass. office.

The idea that an infinite number of universes exist gives rise
to some interesting, and troubling, implications.

"Whenever a thought crosses your mind that a terrible calamity
might have happened," Vilenkin told UPI, "you can be assured
that it has happened in some of the other O-regions."

Furthermore, since some O-regions have histories identical or
nearly identical to our own, "if you nearly escaped an accident
here, then you were not so lucky in some of the O-regions with
the same prior history," he said

The worlds Garriga and Vilenkin imagine are not entirely
calamitous, and may even be amusing.

"Distant copies of ourselves play all sorts of different roles"
in these other worlds, Vilenkin said. In fact, "there are
infinitely many O-regions where Al Gore is president and - yes -
Elvis Presley is still alive!"

According to Vilenkin, Guth's work gave rise to the idea of many
worlds in the first place. Guth formulated the now well-accepted
idea that the universe is expanding - or inflating - and
published the best-selling book "The Inflationary Universe" in
1997.

As the visible universe expands, or inflates, it gives birth to
new universes. Since inflation is eternal, new universe creation
is also eternal.

"In an eternally inflating universe, anything that can happen
will happen; in fact, it will happen an infinite number of
times," Guth told UPI.

Guth also believes the many-worlds hypothesis has profound
philosophical implications.

"We already know that our planet is merely a tiny speck in a
vast cosmos, but now we are being told that we do not even hold
a unique copyright on our own identities," Guth told UPI.
"Instead, each of us is actually only a single copy of an
infinite number of beings that are completely identical to
ourselves."

Copyright 2001, United Press International
All Rights Reserved