-Caveat Lector-

>From Scott Engen

----------

As I'm sure you've heard and read, Utah's DPS/BCI is conducting a
DAILY
computer records cross check on all 35,000 plus Utah CCW holders, to
see if
any disqualifying record, writ, warrant or other status has been
issued in
the previous 24 hour period. Should a computer 'hit' take place, the
CCW
holder has their permit suspended or revoked in real time. It would
seem
from press reports that most of these 'hits' are misdemeanor warrants
or
other minor judicial writs.

While I don't advocate allowing a known, convicted violent criminal,
or
someone demonstrated as a clear and present threat to themselves or
others
to retain a CCW permit, I have the following concerns:

1- What other clearly definable group(s) have their criminal records
status
checked by a state or federal computer EVERY 24 HOURS? Paroled felons?

Convicted child molesters? Elected officials? Cops, prosecutors and
judges?
Journalists?

2- Are the 'warrants and writs' of such a nature that they constitute
legitimate grounds for revocation of a CCW permit? Is 'failure to
appear
for
overdue parking tickets' or 'didn't get a city building permit before
taking
delivery of the new Tuff-Shed' treated the same as 'interstate flight
avoid prosecution or confinement?'

3- If we are revoking CCW permits on a given set of circumstances,
shouldn't
we also revoke all other state-issued licenses and governmental
authority
for the same reasons? If we can't trust a person to carry a concealed
firearm, how can we rust them to drive, operate a business, practice a

profession, hold an office of public trust, profit or authority, vote,

serve
on a jury, or exercise any other rights and responsibilities of
citizenship?

I think we need to closely look into this BCI program. My political
instincts tell me  it's nothing more than a deliberate and overt abuse
of
administrative authority and a 'hack job' on CCW holders, to discredit
them
as a group and justify further restrictions on CCW holders as a whole.

Your thoughts and proposals?

Scott Engen
GOUtah!