(Funny, these kids from the "bad neighborhoods" should be just as scared

about going to the suburbs where the likes of Columbine seem to be more likely to occur...just my two cents...}

Catholic sports league reveals fear of unknown

BY NEIL STEINBERG SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

`Wait here," the editor said. I waited there. It was evening, years ago. I was on my way to the Robert Taylor Homes for a story.

He returned lugging something heavy and blue: a bulletproof vest.

"You might want to wear this," he said, somberly.

I stared at the vest, shocked. Oh, I knew the newspaper had them, stashed

 away somewhere, kept against the chance the city might devolve into some Beirut-like

state of violent chaos. But I had never seen one, never mind seen anyone wearing one, never mind worn one myself.

For More...
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/stein03.html