-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

'Leftist' media? Not right

© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

I am incredulous. I keep getting e-mails denouncing the "liberal media."

How many newspaper editorials in the past week have not called for
retaliation? How many have not hailed the unity of spirit in the country? I
haven't read a single one.

Folks, I present excerpts from two recent, widely syndicated commentaries.
Please tell me which one comes from the "liberal."

"For the mass murder of our citizens has filled this country with a terrible
resolve that could lead it to plunge headlong into an all-out war against
despised Arab and Islamic regimes that turns into a war of civilizations,
with the United States almost alone."

"We are destined to shadowbox with the devil, with no easy victory in sight."
Both of these commentaries were carried by "the liberal media" – along with
many more calling for everything from restraint to considering the use of
tactical nuclear weapons. Guess the "liberal media" just publishes all
different kinds of opinions, eh?

For the record, excerpt #1 comes from Patrick J. Buchanan, who is usually
identified with the right – even the extreme right. Excerpt #2 comes from
Robert Scheer, who is usually identified with the left – even the extreme
left. Buchanan's commentary, "U.S. Pays the High Price of Empire," and
Scheer's, "Destined to Shadowbox with the Devil," both appeared on the same
page in the Sept. 18 Los Angeles Times.

Doesn't #1 seem more like the cautioning of an advocate of restraint? Doesn't
#2 seem more like the dire warning of someone advocating military action?

The events of Sept. 11 have blurred labels that have so politically polarized
this country in recent years. This is not to say that there is universal
agreement, but it is to suggest that you might find valuable thinking from
across the political spectrum.

Those who generalize about a "leftist" press deny themselves a basic
advantage unavailable in, say, Iran. As I wrote to a "leftist
media"-denouncing reader the other day:

You're lucky to have a free press. My suggestion: Be open to reading all
points of view, all reporting, instead of merely looking to have your
existing ideas reinforced.

Leftist media? Who has been the most powerful voice in "the media" for the
past 10 years? I'd say Rush Limbaugh is pretty near the top. Is he "leftist"?
Is WorldNetDaily? The Washington Times? Thomas Sowell? Am I?

According to some readers, I am. Yet, I maintain that I am neither left,
right nor center, and that to label yourself accordingly precludes
open-minded evaluation. The late senator Barry Goldwater, lambasted for
having supported a candidate who favored abortion, reacted with contempt,
saying something to the effect that anyone who based a vote on a single issue
is an idiot, and that this candidate was the best of the given choices.

Yet many readers have indicated that they have stopped looking at
"mainstream" media, as if all newspapers and networks are conspiratorial
purveyors of lies. So they turn to other sources of information that are in
general agreement with their viewpoint. What is the result? More deeply
ingrained convictions, prejudices, less challenge to their perspective, less
thinking.

Does Limbaugh read only conservative tracts?

The reason the people who built this government opted for a free press was
not so the populace could have its prejudices and viewpoints reinforced. That
can be done well enough by totalitarian government propagandists. The reason
for a free press was to allow the populace access to many opinions, and lots
of information – in order to be more educated and reasoned in its decisions.

As for a conspiracy, this makes me fall down laughing. The newspapers where I
worked were cacophonous dens of barely controlled chaos. That they conspired
to get a paper produced each day always seemed a minor miracle to me.
Newsrooms are microcosms – you'll find as much debate there as you will
anyplace else.

Yet, I admit to a type of "liberal" bias in reporting. It's inherent. Why do
people get into journalism in the first place? To "right wrongs," to "do
justice," to stand up for the "underdog," to "seek truth." Organic to the
goal of digging up information is skepticism of information presented –
whether by governments, corporations or any bureaucracy.
Those-who-have-something-to-lose. (These phenomena tend to be aligned more
with the political right – that is their "bias.") For a reporter to have this
type of "liberal bias" is not only inherent in the job – it is as admirable
and natural as fighting a fire.

Besides, reporters are just people, with foibles and prejudices and ignorance
(and varying degrees of skill). What is your job, then, as a citizen? Be
skeptical, but not necessarily disbelieving. Be questioning, but not
necessarily dismissive. Look for reliable, substantiated information in any
reporting, and good points in commentaries, whether or not you think they are
left-leaning or right-leaning. Read if it makes you smile. Read if it makes
your blood boil. Then think.

To do otherwise is not right, and we are left with nothing but the
opportunity for greater wrong.

Rip Rense is writer and columnist whose work has appeared in many newspapers
and magazines, including the Philadelphia Inquirer, Los Angeles Times,
Chicago Tribune, Emmy Magazine, TV Guide, and Free China Review.