-Caveat Lector-

From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date:  Thu Nov 15, 2001  10:02 pm
Subject:  what they can do

Remote Control Electronic Brain Punishment?
Gleaned from Usenet
October 18, 1988

Dear Sir:

I am currently involved in a crisis of a bizarre
nature which I'm sure will be of utmost interest,
providing you can find credence in what I relate and
not summarily dismiss me as being a fantasy-stricken
space case.

I'm being subjected to some type of remote control
electronic brain punishment, in severity nothing less
than outright torture, and the technology being
utilized to execute this questionable action is not
only highly specialized and sophisticated, but causes
me to wonder whether knowledgeable authorities are
even aware that a device of this nature exists. The
credentials I can offer as to the veracity of these
allegations are slim and none. I'm standing in a bad
light to begin with, as I am a 38 year old inmate
serving a 1 to 15 year sentence for 2nd degree
burglary at the Utah State Prison, and the information
contained within is in regard to my substantial
problems with prison officials who would gladly have
it believed that my word merits no credibility
whatsoever. They have, in fact, gone to extreme
lengths to insure that such is the case, and you will
presently understand why. I have never been afflicted
with psychological disorders of any kind, and am not
given to fabricating stories with which to bother busy
people or cause unnecessary commotion. I'm a convicted
thief, not a liar.

It is a difficult story to tell--and though a bit long
winded as presented, I feel it important to explain
these events in their entirety so as to give the
reader a proper picture. Although not well educated, I
am reasonably intelligent and able to recount the
sequences and details to incidents with a great deal
of accuracy, and I swear to you that what is written
on these pages is unembellished and 100% true. I ask
you to please read and evaluate my letter and hope you
will see fit to assist me with any pertinent
information you might possess. Should it prove to be
that you cannot offer an explanation as to what is
happening here, then I'm afraid there is much more
amiss than what I had suspected and would make my
position appear most precarious.

Eleven months ago I unfortunately ran afoul of prison
officials as a result of a minor altercation with
other inmates and what was then deemed to be a poor
attitude on my part. It has since been a battle of
wills, and what they have done to me for my failure
kow tow to them is incomprehensible. The hostilities
commenced with guards being ordered to launch an
intensive campaign of harassments against me. Day
after day they tampered with my food, smashing and
removing items from my tray, and threatened to poison
me with carcinogens and diseases. My mail received
similar treatment, I was constantly verbally badgered
as well as physically assaulted, and was told my
parents would be murdered should I fail to maintain
silence. These methods were employed to provoke me
into losing my temper and acting out, giving them
sufficient cause to impose disciplinary measures and
isolate me in the maximum security unit where I could
be dealt with without their having to be concerned
about witnesses. I have since discovered that these
set-up tactics are standard operating procedure at
this prison, and believe me, no one could undergo the
systematic and intense harassment routine I was
subjected to and not lose their temper.

Once isolated, some extremely peculiar things began to
occur. I became disoriented to the extent that my cell
and surrounding area would take on a surrealistic
appearance as though I were under the influence of a
hallucinogenic drug, and I was plagued by severe
headaches and insomnia for weeks at a time. I had
absolutely no inkling of what was happening, and after
a couple months of having some fantastically cruel
games played with my mind ultimately reducing me to a
state of anxiety, the psychiatric squad was called
in to play their roles in this colossal "set up" and I
was declared to be suffering from a mental illness
after undergoing a farcical and cursory interview in
duration of no more than 15 minutes. Delusional
persecution and paranoia was, I believe, how they so
conveniently labeled me. It was obviously a deliberate
and prearranged plan, and throughout these actions the
staff would make malicious comments as to, "How are
you enjoying your headaches?" Need some aspirin?"
and "Are you sleeping well, Mr. Fratus?" The use of
this fraudulent and adverse psychiatric classification
was just one more nail in my coffin, and intended as a
means to cast suspicion on my credibility, as well as
further enable them to keep me isolated. Now that the
frame-up prerequisites were satisfactorily out of the
way, they were able to proceed with their campaign of
mental terrorism.

I began to receive, or hear, high frequency tones in
my ears. Like the test pattern on a TV set. The volume
or intensity of these frequencies is adjustable and
some are so high and piercing that they've literally
had me climbing the walls. When I plug my ears with
cotton or fingertips, the tones are still inside and
become amplified. It's as if they had become
electrified echo chambers with the sounds coming from
the inside out. When I complained or acted out, I was
beaten and thrown into a strip cell with no clothes,
mattress, toilet paper or drinking water. Nothing--and
the intensity of these frequency transmissions would
be crescendoed to maddening levels. Much mental
distress! This is still being done to me three shifts,
24 hours a day, and the combination of these
demoralizing mental torments and sleep deprivation for
weeks on end has exacted a heavy toll on me.

I began to write letters of complaint and question to
various medical and legal associations after the first
four months. It proved futile to complain to prison
and state officials, as they are aware of, and
sanctioning this treatment, and did nothing but use my
complaints as a vehicle to further ridicule and
aggravate me. It required upwards of 50 letters before
I finally acquired information which gave me a
clue as to just what kind of a predicament I was in.
Most people, it seems, are understandably reluctant to
offer assistance to a convicted person no matter how
serious the situation, and the majority of my letters
went unanswered. No telling if these letters were
actually mailed, however, as prison officials are
notorious for displacing inmate mail, and these people
are definitely trying to hinder my quest for
information and support in this matter. I subscribe to
"U.S. News and World Report" which recently printed an
article concerning the workings of the human mind. I
did not receive this particular issue and became
suspicious after hearing guards make comments like,
"I'll be damned if I'll give it to him," so I had my
father, who resides in New Hampshire, mail me the
article which contained the names of several brain
research scientists and their respective universities.
The administration obviously doesn't want me advising
research people of my situation here--and so that is
just what I intend to do. Getting back to the letters
I had written requesting information, I was fortunate
in that the folks at the "Coalition for Prisoners'
Rights Newsletter" located in Santa Fe, New Mexico,
were concerned enough by word of my plight to conduct
a little research which resulted in their sending me
reprints of three articles dealing with:

Electromagnetic, and Non-Ionizing
Electromagnetic Radiation, and Radio Frequency
Weapons--which were published by "U.S. News," "The
Nation" and "The Atlantic" back in March 1987. I
received this information September 22, 1988, and
thanks to those kind and conscientious people, I now
have some idea
of how such things are being done to me, and most
importantly that such technology does exist.

These articles cover most of the mental and physical
maladies I've been experiencing for the past eleven
months, with one major exception, and I'll hopefully
be able to use this information to gain further
insight as to what is going on, and to alleviate the
hostilities being waged against me. You cannot imagine
what it has been like confined to a cell 24 hours a
day for almost a rear now, being brain blasted by high
frequency impulses--no respite, no place to hide, and
having not the lightest notion what was going on. All
three of these articles, "U.S. News" in particular,
describe dire consequences as a result of over
exposure to various radiation and frequency hazards,
and I'm now most apprehensive as to how eleven months
of constant application, by whichever of these means
it is being done, might be affecting my cell chemistry
and vital organs.

I'm sure you'll agree that I've stumbled headlong into
the proverbial hornets nest, but what I have told you
thus far is only the lull before the storm and is
quite unremarkable in comparison to what comes next.
What they proceeded to do to me from approximately the

fifth month on is the exception I spoke of--and is so
unimaginable and seemingly preposterous that its very
ludicrousness is obviously one of their primary
defense assets. Even though I have been living with
this incredible phenomenon for months on end and have
grown somewhat accustomed to what is being done, as
well as having resigned myself to the inevitability
that I have no escape from this torment as long as
they choose to inflict it, I still find great
difficulty in believing this can be reality. Getting
an outsider to accept my allegations is going to be
something else altogether, and that's just what prison
officials are counting on.

For the climax in this series of weird events, I began
to hear voices in my ears. Voices that change pitch
and timbre in contrast from being a cartoonish high
and squeaky, descending through the octaves, including
everything from sinister Darth Vadorish to basically
normal characteristics. The reception of these voices
into my inner ears is as vivid as though I were
listening to a set of stereo headphones, and they are
able to mix, match, and blend them in conjunction with

the frequency tones creating a raucous cacophony of
audio discord that disheartens the soul. Now for the
clincher.

The various effects of this device have been
progressively increased throughout this eleven-month
onslaught, finally arriving at full potential with the
end result being that I am now having my brain
monitored by an omnipotent computerized mind reading
or scanning machine of some sort. No hoax, no illusion
to what I'm experiencing. These people have devised or
acquired a specialized unit that reads absolutely
everything--physical as well as mental functions, and
are able to cause severe impairments and dysfunctions
via this remote-control scanning device. I have no
memory of having had anything of a physical nature
done to me, but it has somehow been contrived to
"wire" me up to where they have access to instant, and
unerringly accurate comprehension of even my most
fragmented and fleeting thoughts. They are attempting
radical behavior modification and thought control by
means of an incessant, round the clock monitoring
of my brain--imposing the various punishments when my
thinking or physical actions fail to conform to what
they are demanding of me. Interesting concept, isn't
it? "Big Brother" and the "Thought Police" have most
assuredly become reality.

This scheme of sleep deprivation, headaches, and audio
torments is relentless and being used to break down my
resistance and wear me to a mental frazzle, permitting
no mental privacy, berating and picking my thoughts
apart, and attacking my mind with an insidious tirade
of sickening innuendo and threats. They are going into
my subconscious, or memory bank, bringing forth
unpleasant memories long ago forgotten, and I am being
punished for past as well as present indiscretions. I
can think of anything from the past--a friend or
situation from 30 years ago for instance, and the
voices will provide names and particulars. I have
repeatedly tested and attempted to trick them on this.
No way. They have better access to what's in my head
with this nefarious invention than I do. I can
converse with my antagonists merely by thinking what I
wish to say.... and I welcome you to the Twilight
Zone!! How the hell is this being done?? They are
using those frequency impulses to perpetrate some very
vicious maltreatment on me. With the apparent ease of
manipulating a keyboard, they can, with a flick of the
switch, strip me of all energy and motivation to where
I'm forced to lie on my bunk and stare at the wall
like a-zombie. I've been left in this state for weeks
at a time--literally chained to my bed without the
actual use of physical restraints, having not the
energy to walk back and forth in my cell even a few
times. For almost the entire eleven months I have
continuously been made to feel low down and
chronically depressed. The effects of this device have
been cancelled on several occasions, instantly
returning me to my normal self, only to have the
voices laugh and taunt, then reducing me to the former
state of despondent misery and confusion after an all
too brief reprieve. The most powerful of these
frequency impulses is jokingly referred to as the
"Death Ray" by guards, and is so potent it causes an
intense physical sensation of having an electrical, or
magnetic force field combined with a vibrating tuning
fork in my head. Different parts of my brain are
targeted by this thing, causing a variety of mental
and physical reactions. Sometimes I can feel it at the
base of my brain where it joins the spinal cord, other
times up in the frontal lobes, and it is in fact
comparable to a lobotomy, as it causes my brain to
lock up and malfunction to where I cannot concentrate
or spell simple words. It actually blurs my eyesight
and fouls the air I expel from my lungs, giving it a
metallic sulfurish taste and odor. It's a God-awful
feeling, I can tell you. They have, at times, assailed
me with this "Death Ray" in bursts ranging from
seconds to minutes, causing me to psychologically
bounce up and down like a human yo-yo.
Lobotomies may have been outlawed in the U.S.A., but
they've sure found the perfect replacement, and I
don't see how this treatment can possibly be construed
as anything other than torture.

It is inconceivable to me that the technology of this
awesome device can be unique and possessed solely by
the State of Utah, but I may very well be wrong. When
I first entered the prison in May, 1986, one of the
psychologists who conducted my initial classification
interview inquired as to whether I had ever heard
"voices." That seems to be the key word around here.
This question was posed almost a year before the "U.S.
News" and other articles were published,
which seems unlikely, as the proficiency of the
apparatus I'm dealing with is sophisticated far beyond
anything scientists had apparently imagined in use at
that time. I, of course, didn't attach any
significance to the question of voices back then, but
remember it well, and have since heard many references
made to people hearing "voices" by both inmates and
staff, which would indicate that these people were in
possession of, and employing this technology at
least that far back. This is what prompts me to wonder
how they could have had such an innovative piece of
equipment in use, operating with apparent perfection
of technique, without the scientific and medical
community in general being aware of it. Quite a
puzzle.

In defense of both my sanity and the veracity of my
allegations, I now relate part of a conversation I
recently had with a prison paid, but supposedly
independent and neutral paralegal advisor. He stated
that he has received similar complaints from other
inmates, but that nothing can be done for lack of
evidence. He said that one inmate in particular has
been placed on forced medication (Prolixin) because of

his hearing "voices," and unless I'm greatly mistaken,
I believe his words carried an unofficial warning for
me. At least two inmates that I know of have been
badgered to the point of having attempted suicide
as a result of this mental torment, and something
stinks to the high heavens here! All of the staff, as
well as a number of inmates, are aware of what is
happening, so I can't fathom how it can remain, or
even at this time, be a kept and closed secret human
nature being what it is. For the most part, I believe
the other knowledgeable inmates are intimidated and
cowed for fear of retaliation in the form of a mental
torture routine such as I'm being subjected to should
they complain. Threats of additional time being
imposed by the Parole Board are also being used to
coerce silence. Tough odds to buck.

Prison officials deny that they are perpetrating any
such activities in response to formal inquiry but will
grin and smugly indicate full awareness when no
witnesses are present. "Yes, we are doing this to
you, but no one will believe it, and you can do
nothing to deter us." This is the attitude they
project, and they are engaging in a conspiracy of
inmate experimentation and exploitation that defies
description. The outside authorities who even made a
pretense of investigating my allegations were told I'm
a habitual trouble maker with a history of
psychological problems, and that effectively
frustrates my attempts to have this situation looked
into right there. Who is to dispute the word of my
law-abiding and honorable keepers? How to verify and
impress upon investigators the honesty of my
accusations? What concrete evidence do I have? Even a
group of inmates alleging corresponding facts are
subject to skepticism as prison officials will simply
accuse them of collusion. I'm being deliberately
isolated from the inmates who would collaborate my
story, by the way--and legal organizations such as the
A.C.L.U., due to lack of substantiated proof and the
absurdity of this horror show, are hesitant to invest
the time and effort necessary to determine what is
actually taking place at the hands of these pious
Mormon inquisitioners. I've seen them in action and
they are possessed of exceptional finesse in their
ability to conceal the true nature of matters and
mislead outsiders with their upright and holier than
thou pretentiousness. It has been eleven months of
deception by prison officials, of nonstop elaborate
harassments and vicious mind games, and I would surely
like to know just what provocation I gave to warrant
the infliction of such insane mistreatment. No rhyme
or reason--nor justification--either legal or moral,
to any of this. They are so very smug and secure in
the belief that they cannot be brought to account for
these blatantly illegal acts due to their well
rehearsed methods of official denial, isolation, and
absence of witnesses, bogus psychiatric evaluations,
and of course, the fact that this mental torment is
being accomplished by a faceless machine, operated by
anonymous antagonists from an unknown location and
distance. I overheard one guard boast that the tactics
they've employed have been so extensive that no one
would believe me anyway.

I was an Air Force brat, born in New Foundland and
stubborn as a Missouri mule. I suppose I could
capitulate and eventually get these people to cease
and desist in this mental warfare, but I vehemently
resent and object to this flagrant invasion of the
sanctity of my mind and will be damned if I'll just
sit here and allow them to go unchallenged in this
attempted programming and manipulation of my brain and
personality as though I were an experimental
laboratory animal. The judge sentenced me to serve an
atonemental amount of time for my crime and said
nothing of corporal punishments or mental torment and
abuse when he passed judgment. It is plain enough why
they went to such extremes to set me up for isolation
and discredit my word. I have to shake my head in
incredulous dismay when I picture the outrageousness
of the circumstances I've been maneuvered into. I
recently signed a release form and obtained, acting
through the paralegal I previously mentioned, partial
copies of both my administrative and medical prison
files. I was denied access to all of this material and
told to get a court order if I wished to see what was
withheld. What I did see, however, was enough to
convince me that I'm dealing with some highly
unscrupulous people who will stop at nothing to
protect their conspiracy. The chronological notes
contained in these files bore a contrived and twisted
mass of outright lies pertaining to alleged
conversations between myself and both psychological
and correctional staff. This deceit was expressly
woven in harmony by the various contributors to
detract from my credibility and make me appear
unstable. There was, in fact, mention of obtaining a
court order to force treatment on me (Prolixin?), and
I find it very sad, and hard to believe, that this
type of atrocious inhumanity is being practiced in
this country in this day and age. Equally hard to
understand is the fact that the state officials I have
advised of this situation, including the Governor,
Attorney General, State Senate, County Attorney, and
Department of Corrections Personnel, all choose to
ignore and make light of these allegations, even
though there is strong indication of foul play due to
the numerous individual complaints made by inmates at
this institution. I even went so far as to challenge
Warden Gerald Cook, and Gary Deland, who is the
Executive Director of the Department of Corrections,
to a $1500.00 wager as to the outcome of a polygraph
test between myself and prison officials to determine
who is speaking the truth. They have declined my
invitation, of course, and I was threatened with the
possibility of disciplinary action for my proposal of
illicit gambling. This is a Mormon state, and there is
a deep-rooted conspiracy going on which apparently
encompasses most, if not all of the governmental
structure. Can nothing be done?

It may very well prove impossible to bring legal
action against these people for what they're doing to
me, but I fully intend to continue my pursuit of the
answers--and shall endeavor to expose this malignant
corruption for what it is. I firmly believe the truth
must eventually surface.

Any consideration you can give this matter--either
assisting me with information, suggesting responsible
authorities from whom I might elicit assistance, or
possibly forwarding this letter to someone who could
cause investigation, and perhaps act to prevent
further retaliation by these people, would be ever so
greatly appreciated. This letter has been written in
good faith, and I sincerely hope you will treat it as
such. If nothing else, I ask that you at least accord
me the courtesy of acknowledging receipt.

Sincerely,

David James Fratus
17886 Box 250
Draper, Utah 84020