--- Begin Message ---
Title: Odom's Question ABout Guard And Reserve Units At Andrews AFB - An Answer

As youll see below, theyre standing by their story completely. I do note in their text that they state clearly that:

Andrews Air Force Base is a huge installation. It hosts two 'combat-ready' squadrons:

These squadrons are served by hundreds of full-time personnel

I have read the text of the San Diego article they cite and it implies or states the same things.

The San Diego story also states: This failure is especially striking because some media did report that fighters scrambled from Andrews, but only after the Pentagon was hit. Thus they were aware that Andrews was supposed to defend D.C.:

I must add that in 1994-5, while I lived near DC I sold cars at Ron Bortnick Ford on Hwy 301 in Upper Marlboro while researching CIA activities and freelancing. It was right next to Andrews and I saw fighters taking off all the time, every day of the week, day and night.

I go to the military web site at http://www.dcmilitary.com/baseguides/airforce/andrews/partnerunits.html

And it says:

Training for air combat and operational airlift for national defense is the 113th's primary mission. However, as part of its dual mission, the 113th provides capable and ready response forces for the District of Columbia in the event of a natural disaster or civil emergency. Members also assist local and federal law enforcement agencies in combating drug trafficking in the District of Columbia.

Ready Response clearly implies to me in conformity with my understanding of military terminology - that these aircraft are ready-to-go. The military web site also states clearly that there are over 700 full-time personnel assigned to these operations.

The tenc story also states:

" Within minutes of the attack American forces around the world were put on one of their highest states of alert - Defcon 3, just two notches short of all-out war - and F-16s from Andrews Air Force Base were in the air over Washington DC."
--'
Sunday Telegraph,' (London), 16 September 2001 (7)

I have checked the citation and it is accurate.

From reading the military web site I get the impression that ANG personnel are rotated in from all over the country under the command of the DC ANG to provide a full-time ready response cadre. Nonetheless, I can find no fault with the reporting, although I might like to see the two authors clarify this point further in Part II, if for no other reason than to avoid wasting time on a controversy that may be needless. Jared Israel is not a sloppy journalist. Their response to me is attached below

Dear Mike,

Thanks so much for the dynamite rating.

On your letter, I got nearly the same one.  I didn't see a signature on yours

- is he withholding his name?

I wasn't going to dignify the one we got with a public answer, since a) it is

silly and irrelevant to our point  b) the internal evidence of our piece

already "answers" it in abundance. I think you'll see that if you read what

we've written, again.

Warm regards to all,

Jared

Mike Ruppert