-Caveat Lector-

From
http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/opinion.asp?ArticleID=33364

}}}>Begin
Here's looking at you, Israel
Dubai | By Najla Al Rostamani | 23/11/2001 During the past week, a
television programme called Irhabiat broadcast on Abu
  Dhabi satellite television has seen strong reactions from the
Israeli government.
  Here is an overview of the issue and reactions in the Arab press.
"Sharonism" to "Terrorism"
The programme is being aired daily on the Abu Dhabi satellite channel
since
  the beginning of Ramadan. The comedy depicts Israeli Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon
  as a blood-thirsty killer. Many scenes are based on historical and
real events.
The famous Kuwaiti comedian Dawood Hussein plays Sharon's role.
Changed from
  being called "Sharonism" to "Terrorisms", the screenplay is written
by Egyptian
  Yussef Ma'ati, who has worked with some of the most famous
comedians in the
  Arab world such as Adel Imam and Sameer Ghanem.
One of the scenes shows Sharon waving with a bottle filled with the blood of
  Arab children, quenching his thirst with each sip. In another scene, a character
  playing dracula sucks blood from Sharon's neck but drops dead because of the
  infected blood.
Clips of the programme were aired on one of Israel's private television channels.
  In an interview with Israeli military radio, Israel's Foreign Minister Shimon
  Peres said: "I am sickened. This reveals the appalling level of this television
  channel."
Israeli Cabinet Secretary Gideon Saar said the Israeli government views the
  programme gravely. He told a press conference that it was anti-Semitic and spreads
  hatred. In addition, Saar said Peres was instructed to file a complaint with
  the UN and Unesco against the series.
The Israeli government also decided to send copies of the programme to foreign
  embassies as evidence. Israel had once rejected an Egyptian protest against
  an Israeli comedy programme that depicted Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak
satirically.
  The Israeli government labelled the protest as evidence of the Egyptians "lack
  of understanding of satirical art."
Hamdan's reaction
Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, has
  expressed his astonishment at Israel's reaction. "Israel and international Zionism
  have used these films (attacking Arabs and Muslims) against us directly and
  no one heeded our repeated calls to stop them." He stressed that Arabs should
understand how Israelis think and react to such programmes.
Counter attacks
In his reaction to the Israeli government's objections, Dawood said he vows
  to use satire as a means to criticise Israel's treatment of Palestinians.
"Satire is the weapon I will not renounce, and through which I will show people
  the barbarity of the Zionist entity," he said in an interview. He added that
  by "making this programme, we want to highlight the heroic operations undertaken
  by the valiant fighters of the Intifada who sacrificed their souls and blood
  for their just cause."
Dawood added that he is not anti-Semitic, but that Sharon "is a blood-thirsty
  man who has massacred many. Even Belgian judicial authorities have filed a lawsuit
  against Sharon for crimes committed against humanity. It is not surprising that
  we expose such acts because we have experienced them.
"Does Israel not boast about its democracy and claims to be a democratic country?
  We also have a right to express our opinion of Israel."
Dawood added that if what he has presented in the programme is not reflective
  of the truth, Peres would not have objected so vehemently. "I personally do
  not care what Peres or anyone else says because I want to join the Intifada
  in supporting it. I wanted to use the weapon that I have mastered: comedy."
Dawood said Hollywood and the West have produced countless films and programmes
  against Arabs and Muslims, and that this series is only a drop in the ocean.
When asked if the programme will be stopped following the objections, Dawood
  said the issue lies with Abu Dhabi channel because it is the producer and has
  the authority to stop airing it.
The programme's Kuwaiti director, Ahmad Al Dhoghagi, said Israel has always
  fought Arabs and Muslims and no one has done what Israel has. He added that
  the programme depicts the truth by exposing Sharon's barbaric character. He
  further added that numerous people have praised the programme.
Response from Emirates Media and Abu Dhabi TV
Ahmad Ali Al Baloushi, Head of Emirates Media, said the television channel would
  continue to air the programme throughout Ramadan. He added that if the programme
  has irritated the Israeli government then it is possible to produce a second
  part.
In his reaction to Peres' comments, Ismail Abdallah, Head of Abu Dhabi Radio
  and TV, said Peres seems to have "lost his sense of humour". He added: "Instead
  of Israel being angry at the media, it should examine closely its policies and
  put an end to shooting and killing of Palestinians."
Reactions of columnists
A number of columnists have also written about Israel's reaction to the programme.
  Ahmad Al Rab'e writing in London-based Asharq Al Awsat says Israel's objections
  are unjustifiable. They are protesting against a drama whose weapon is decor,
  makeup and cameras. "It is as if we are looking at a civilised group of people
  who hate violence and spread peace in the world," Al Rab'e added.
Though Israel could not tolerate a comedy programme, Al Rab'e says, Arabs and
  Palestinians had to tolerate mass killings that have spawned in a period of
  50 years, without any right to object.
"Israel now just needs to assign individuals to monitor each and every Arab
  television station." This, Al Rab'e says, is to ensure that none of the programmes
  will cause anger in Israel, or destroy its myth of being a messiah of peace
  and tranquility. "When one looks at the latest Israeli moves and objections against
the programme, one would think that we are looking at a country that's
  hobby is to give out flowers and sweets to its neighbours."
Mohammad Al Hammadi of Al Ittihad (UAE), questions the concept of accepting
  "others' opinion", as proclaimed by so-called "Israeli democracy". Israel, Al
  Hammadi continues, claims to be the only democracy in the region. Yet, Sharon
  has terrorised militarily, politically and economically. "How can Sharon dare
  to terrorise us intellectually and prevent us from expressing our feelings and
  beliefs?" Al Hammadi added.
He wonders whether the UN will ask the television channel to ban the programme
  or will it call for a meeting of the Security Council, or perhaps, even consult
  the Council's five permanent members on the issue.
Al Hammadi also says if the daily massacres committed by Sharon in Palestine
  have not moved the UN to comment, let alone take action against the Israeli
  government, then perhaps the programme's sketches are an incentive for the UN
  to do something.
Mohammed Zain of Kuwaiti Al Qabas has expressed his delight at the channel's
  insistence to continue airing the show. "Sharon is a terrorist and has been
  and still is killing Palestinian children, an act that he enjoys and takes pride
  in," Zain says.
Even the BBC has aired a documentary indicating Sharon's role in the
Sabra and
  Shatila massacres. Both programmes, that of BBC and Abu Dhabi TV,
are a reflection
  of reality and are not fictional. Why then does Sharon and the
Israeli government
  fear so much from such programmes, questions Zain.
© Al Nisr
      Publishing LLC - Gulf News Online

End<{{{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway