-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

1733.  CSAF: Nothing more vital than service to nation

by Tech. Sgt. Tim Dougherty
Air Force Print News

WASHINGTON -- As the nation's military is involved in hunting down
terrorists, the Air Force's chief of staff is taking steps to ensure airmen
everywhere know the importance of the task at hand.

In his first meeting with the Pentagon press since becoming chief of staff
in September, Gen. John P. Jumper said there is nothing more vital to the
nation than its men and women serving in uniform during this crucial time.

"I want to make sure that our Air Force people understand that in times of
crisis, the American people look to their military in uniform for strength
and as role models," Jumper told reporters Nov. 27.

Jumper said that one of his priorities as chief of staff is retention.

The events of Sept. 11 have "mitigated" the retention problem somewhat, but
it is not completely solved, he said.

"Retention is very high on my list of concerns for the Air Force.  The
problems are caused by several factors," Jumper said.  "First of all, our
people are very, very busy.  They are involved with families and they are
gone away from home for long periods of time.  These factors, combined with
a robust job market outside the Air Force, pull our people away."

He said that Secretary of the Air Force Dr. James Roche, who just returned
from visiting troops overseas for Thanksgiving, echoes his thoughts, saying
both leaders are extremely proud of their team.

"I've said many times that there is nothing more satisfying than seeing our
men and women in uniform doing our nation's work," Jumper said.

Because of ongoing world events, the Air Force activated the Stop-Loss
program in September, which indefinitely suspended all (O-6 and below)
planned retirements and separations unless an approved waiver is granted.
Current guidance provides liberal waiver approval unless the individual's
skills are required to support America's war on terrorism.

The Air Force has not established the necessary battle rhythm it needs to
make any changes to the current Stop-Loss program, Jumper said.

"Our people are doing a great job and I tell them all the time that there is
nothing more meaningful they could be doing in their life right this minute
than to be serving in uniform."

1735.  Three U.S. soldiers die in 'friendly fire' accident

by Army Sgt. 1st Class Kathleen T. Rhem
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Three U.S. special operations servicemembers were
killed Dec. 5, and as many as 19 others were injured in a friendly fire
incident north of Kandahar, Afghanistan, Defense Department officials said.

A B-52 Stratofortress bomber dropped a 2,000-pound precision-guided Joint
Direct Attack Munition near the troops at about 12:30 a.m. EST, Pentagon
spokeswoman Victoria Clarke said.

The injured Americans and an indeterminate number of wounded Afghan
opposition troops were moved to a coalition-held base camp south of
Kandahar. Depending on their injuries, some may be evacuated for more
comprehensive medical treatment.

The names of those killed and wounded are being withheld until their
families are notified, Clark said. She said she had no details regarding the
accident, but that U.S. Central Command officials are investigating the
incident.

In a separate incident Dec. 4, a U.S. servicemember was shot in the shoulder
in Afghanistan and is reported to be in stable condition in a U.S. medical
facility in Oman, officials said. No other information on this person was
released.

The department's thoughts and prayers are with the injured servicemembers
and the families of those killed and wounded, Clark said.

"It just underscores what we don't say often enough around here -- every
single day there are men and women willing to put their necks on the line
and put themselves in grave danger, and we appreciate what they do," she
said.

The accident is the second friendly fire incident involving U.S. troops in
Afghanistan. On Nov. 25, four soldiers and an airman were injured during an
air strike intended to quell a prison riot near Mazar-e Sharif. The five
were evacuated to Germany for medical treatment.

1730.  Readiness Challenge VIII canceled for 2002

TYNDALL AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFPN) -- Air Force officials have announced
that Readiness Challenge VIII, a biennial multinational combat support
competition, is canceled for 2002 because of current and possible future
mission requirements in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Noble
Eagle.

The competition, scheduled for April 18 to 27, demonstrate the leadership,
readiness, warfighting and contingency support capabilities of the U.S. and
international teams.  Teams are made up of people from the Air Force civil
engineer, services and personnel career fields.

They compete in real-world scenarios designed to showcase their skills in
setting up and maintaining self-sufficient field operations in a bare-base
environment during a deployment or contingency. The competition has been
tentatively rescheduled for the Spring of 2003.

"While we regret canceling the competition, the main focus of all our
fighting forces is the current and future support of activities related to
Operations Enduring Freedom and Noble Eagle," said Col. Bruce Barthold,
commander of the Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency.  "In addition, the
increased operational tempo being experienced now and into the foreseeable
future makes it uncertain whether appropriate personnel and resources will
be available to support the competition next spring."

In 1999 Readiness Challenge VII was canceled just days before it was to
begin because of the U.S. military campaign in the Yugoslav region. The
competition was held in 2000.

Besides the U.S. teams (one from each of the major commands) five foreign
teams -- Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan and Norway -- were
scheduled to participate.

Readiness Challenge draws more than 400 competitors and about 1,200
visitors.

1732.  New initiatives improving maintenance productivity, efficiency

by Capt. Dani Johnson
U.S. Air Forces in Europe Public Affairs

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (AFPN) -- U.S. Air Forces in Europe officials
recently implemented two initiatives aimed at improving productivity and
efficiency in the maintenance career field.

USAFE introduced the initiatives, Action Workouts and Six Sigma, in fiscal
2000 and the results are promising, said Brig. Gen. Art Rooney, USAFE
director of logistics.

"Affordable readiness should be at the forefront of all our thoughts,"
Rooney said.  "To maximize our limited resources, we need to provide our
personnel with the tools to make fact-based decisions that deliver the
greatest return on investment."

Action Workouts, called AWOs, capitalize on the power of teams to reduce
wait time and reorganize workspace. AWOs are often used to look at processes
that are measurable and repetitive.

Increasing aircraft availability in the command has been the focus for the
past year, officials said. USAFE has conducted four logistics AWOs in the
command since October 2000. Three of these focused on the aircraft
phase/isochronal maintenance process, and the other looked at the LANTIRN
targeting pod, used on the F-15 Eagle fighter jet.

"Our AWO results have been impressive," said Capt. Kevin Traw, USAFE AWO and
Six Sigma project officer.

"The 31st Fighter Wing (based at Aviano Air Base, Italy), looked at the F-16
(Fighting Falcon) Block-40 engine phase inspection process (a combined Six
Sigma and AWO project). The results were a 33-percent reduction in the
length of each phase (6.2 days to 4.5 days) and a 7,000-foot reduction in
(the) distance technicians walk during a phase," he said.

"The capability in the phase hangar increased from two to three aircraft,"
he said, "and time from phase completion to first flight was reduced. Six
crew chiefs were freed up to return to duty on the flightline."

Building on AWO successes, officials asked their jet engine partner, General
Electric, to provide training on the second initiative, Six Sigma," Rooney
said.

Six Sigma is a statistically driven process improvement program. It relies
heavily on statistics to prove root cause and provide solutions to problems.

It is a highly structured process that helps us focus on developing and
delivering near-perfect products and services, said Tom Maxwell, GE F110
manager. Originally, Six Sigma was internally focused on manufacturing
processes, but eventually it was moved into the office environment.

USAFE officials implemented Six Sigma in October 2000 with a class of 26
logisticians.  Each student attended 12 days of classroom instruction,
participated in three individual mentoring sessions, presented two briefings
and completed a project.

The 18 projects accomplished by the Six Sigma trainees covered a wide
variety of areas, from Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory research
time to the Block-40 project mentioned above.

"The total savings projected for these efforts are estimated at 52,000
man-hours and $1 million in cost avoidance for the command," Traw said.

One project focusing on the F110-GE-100 jet engine would net estimated
savings of $684,000 and 2,000 man-hours for 18 engines over three years,
Traw said.

"AWOs and Six Sigma are not without their pitfalls," Rooney said.  "Both
require a long-term commitment driven from the top and supported by the user
level."

USAFE logisticians are taking steps to institutionalize the program. The
command's goal is to have advanced Six Sigma trained people at each base to
continue the training locally. (Courtesy of USAFE News Service)

1736.  Air Force approves JPATS full-rate production

by Sue Baker
Aeronautical Systems Center Public Affairs

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFPN) -- Air Force officials approved
full-rate production of the Joint Primary Aircraft Training System.

Darlene Druyun, Air Force principal deputy assistant secretary for
acquisition and management, signed an Acquisition Decision Memorandum on
Dec. 3 authorizing the service to procure additional T-6A Texan II aircraft
and related systems, besides the 168 aircraft already ordered from prime
contractor Raytheon Aircraft Co., in Wichita, Kan. The action also permits
the award later this month of the follow-on contract, valued at $1.4 billion
-- including options.

"The T-6A Texan II aircraft is the safest, most cost-effective, joint
primary pilot training tool available in the free world today," said Col.
Toni Arnold, director of the flight training system program office at the
Aeronautical Systems Center here. "This approval affirms that -- as well as
the thousands of Air Force military and civilian and defense contractors who
team together every day to produce and improve its 21st century
capabilities.

"We have excellent fixes in place for air conditioning and ultra-high
frequency radio reception issues of the past," Arnold said. "And we're
constantly working with Air Education and Training Command and the chief of
naval air training to ensure that JPATS meets future training command
requirements."

The Air Force and Navy already have delivered 49 JPATS aircraft to Randolph
Air Force Base, Texas, where they are used to train pilot instructors. On
Oct. 10, AETC student pilots started training with JPATS at Moody Air Force
Base, Ga.

1729.  Survival students learn skills to return with honor

by Master Sgt. Mary McHale
92nd Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs

FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. (AFPN) -- It is training they hope they
never use for circumstances they hope they never face.

But as the old adage goes -- never say never.

These are students in their first day of the field-training portion of the
U.S. Air Force Combat Survival Course. This portion of the 17-day course
finds students deep in the mountain wilderness of Colville National Forest,
north of Spokane, Wash.

With conventional classroom comfort left behind, students spend six days in
the wilderness learning and applying lessons that may one day literally mean
the difference between life or death.

"True, it's training they hope they never have to use, but the value of the
course is that it not only hones combat skills but life skills as well when
people may find themselves in a precarious situation," said Col. Craig
Jensen, U.S. Air Force Survival School commander.

During this portion of the course, students learn firsthand about building
shelters, starting fires, finding or making safe food and water sources,
navigation techniques and evading possible inhospitable forces.

Instructors and students follow a four-step process as they learn the
various skills, said Tech. Sgt. Tom Bonsant, superintendent of Charlie
Flight for the 66th Training Squadron.

First the instructor teaches the skill and then demonstrates it, he said.
The instructor then has the students practice those skills which are then
followed by a formal evaluation and critique.

"These students come from all walks of life," Jensen said. "For some, these
skills come naturally, for some, they don't."

Success in this part of the course is a balance between teamwork and
individual effort, Bonsant said.

In their shelter lesson, elements of five students work together to gather
the materials to make a lean-to -- in this case, several tall, thin pine
logs they will lash together with parachute cord with the chute canopy
creating one 'wall' of the makeshift shelter.

Later in the day, during the fire craft portion, students again join
together to gather the fire-making materials, but each are required to build
an individual fire.

"Each skill requires time to perfect," said instructor Airman 1st Class
Kelly Ivey, as he observed each of his students practice wood splitting.
"Notoriously, split-wood fire craft is the most difficult but students have
to make the mistakes they're going to make to get a greater learning
outcome."

Wanting to experience as much as he can firsthand, 2nd Lt. Jesse Lamarand, a
B-52 Stratofortress navigator trainee said, "You can watch it all you want,
but until you experience it first hand, that's when you change your mind
set."

Lemarand's biggest fear and concern, he said, is being captured as a
prisoner of war, where "anything can happen." But, he said, the course
lessons help him calm these thoughts.

"The fact that I'll be able to apply the procedures I've learned here
provides me a basic confidence so that I can come home, so I can return with
honor," he said.

In fact, "To Return With Honor" is the motto of the Air Force survival
training program.

"To return with honor means having pride in yourself and in your country,
knowing your country is going to do everything possible to get you home,"
said Staff Sgt. Barry Leland, from the 22nd Training Squadron. "It gives you
motivation internally."

Airman Hollis Collins, a prior-service Air Force combat controller who
reentered the Air Force specifically to become a survival course instructor,
is currently a student of the survival trainer course.

"When I was in before, I knew people who were instructors and they really
enjoyed it," Collins said.  "It sparked my interest and from that point on I
completely fell in love with it. It's good to know people are coming back
because of what you taught them."

For another student, 1st Lt. Mike Gommel, B-1B Lancer aircrew trainee, the
course offers the valuable opportunity to soak up all the training and
knowledge he can.

"I like to treat this like a CPR course," he said. "You take what you hope
you never have to use but if you do, you're full up to speed on what you
need to do. Once you go through this program, you will have the tools to
sustain life on the ground."

Gommel said he is trying to get through this portion of the course using as
many environmental resources as he can rather than relying on apportioned
rations of meals ready to eat. Attesting to this desire is a canteen of pond
water -- purified with iodine -- strapped to his side.

"I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible," he said as he proceeded to
describe some of the various flavors he had previously placed on his palate.
"Worms taste like dirt, ants like lemon drops and termites are bitter."

When students are not watching demonstrations or doing hands-on training,
they will often find themselves in a "quad pod," an open-air,
parachute-ceilinged classroom whose benches and tables are fashioned from
split logs and thin pine trees lashed together in various configurations
from pod to pod. In the center of each is a "fire circle" where students
receive further instruction and cook their evening meal.

This time of year, Bonsant said, it is critical for instructors to use the
daylight hours as efficiently as possible.

"You save whatever you can for the fire circle at the end of the day,"
Bonsant said.

Everything the students use here they have either brought as equipment or
make from the local environment. During the six-day period, students sleep
in the shelters they built.

"Equipment varies from student to student," Bonsant said. "We stress
bringing the minimal amount and student packs usually average between 35 and
40 pounds."

While the instructors demonstrate field techniques with specific items, such
as a parachute, these items are really just representative examples of how
to employ whatever resources are available, Bonsant said. If not a chute, it
might be the rubber from a raft. Pine boughs stacked inside the shelter
become a bed.

Leland said that for him, it is a pleasure to come out to the woods, work
with the students and witness their progress and sense of satisfaction.

"Any time you can build something with next to nothing, it's a huge
victory," he said.

"My most favorite part is coming out here and getting this kind of
training," Gommel said.  "I don't really mind any of it, it's all valuable
training -- training we might have to use some day."  (Courtesy of Air
Mobility Command News Service)

1731.  Air Force reservist will carry Olympic torch

by Staff Sgt. Bob Oldham
189th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

LITTLE ROCK AIR FORCE BASE, Ark. (AFPN) -- An Arkansas Air National Guard
noncommissioned officer was chosen to help carry the Olympic torch through
the state Dec. 14 as the torch crisscrosses the country to Salt Lake City
for the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Tech. Sgt. Sean O'Nale, a fuels craftsman with the 189th Logistics Squadron
here was also chosen to be in a promotional video produced by NBC about
people chosen to carry the torch.

O'Nale will carry the flaming torch along Highway 70 in Lonoke, Ark., and is
one of 7,200 torchbearers selected to carry the flame on its 65-day,
13,500-mile journey from Atlanta to Salt Lake City. Torchbearers were
selected from more than 210,000 nominees.

The fuels craftsman received an e-mail from an NBC official that said he was
one of 65 people selected for the video. The video will be a 20-second
profile on each torchbearer, O'Nale said.

Besides the 7,200 torchbearers selected, 4,300 torchbearers were selected
through programs involving the Olympic family, which includes sponsors,
providers, Olympians and other athletes from several U.S. Olympic national
governing bodies.

Torchbearers were nominated by family members, friends or co-workers by
writing a 50- to 100-word essay describing how the nominee embodied the
Olympic spirit and inspired an individual or a community. The essays were
gathered through the Salt Lake Olympic Committee, Coca-Cola and Chevrolet
nomination programs during March and April.

He said he was "just pumped" to find out his name was chosen.

"I was kind of surprised they picked me," he said.

Sean's wife, Cindy, who is also a technical sergeant in the Air Guard,
e-mailed an essay describing Sean's involvement in the local community

Sean said they had forgotten about the entry until late this summer.

"We received a letter in late July, telling Sean that he had been
nominated," Cindy said. "He had to respond to Coca-Cola, saying whether or
not he would like to run. Of course, he was ecstatic and replied with a
resounding 'yes.'"

Cindy said her husband is on cloud nine about being selected.

"When the torch run was announced on television, he mentioned to me that he
has always wanted to do that," Cindy said. "He would give anything to run in
the relay. When I saw the flier, I immediately sat down and started writing
and editing an essay to nominate him. I wish I could describe the look on
his face when he read the first letter from Coca-Cola, telling him he had
been nominated and accepted to run. He started jumping around and hooping
and hollering.

"I was so glad I was there when he read the letter," she said.  "It was
worth everything just to see the excitement on his face at that moment."

The Olympic flame was lit during a ceremony in Olympia, Greece, before it
traveled to Atlanta -- where the flame last rested on American soil -- and
started its cross-country journey through 46 states Dec. 4. An average of
180 torchbearers per day will each carry the flame approximately two-tenths
of a mile.

1737.  Gray beret predicts weather for Florida panhandle

by Tech. Sgt. Ginger Schreitmueller
Air Force Special Operations Command Public Affairs

HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AFPN) -- With more than 10 years experience as a
combat weatherman, Master Sgt. John Farris has done weather operations from
mountain passes, jungle trenches and desert ravines for U.S. Army Special
Operations Forces units.

Now, the "gray beret" has provided vital weather forecasting to a different
new group of decision makers - people living and working along Florida's
panhandle.

Farris was the guest weather forecaster for a local television station in
Pensacola, Fla., on Nov. 30. He is the noncommissioned officer in charge of
combat weather training with the 720th Special Tactics Group here.

As an Air Force Special Operations Command combat weatherman, Farris is a
FAA/National Weather Service certified meteorologist.

"It was a great opportunity to give the community an idea of who and what
combat weather is all about," Farris said.

WEAR-TV 3, an ABC affiliate, is celebrating Military Appreciation Month and
brought the combat weathermen in to the station to do the Friday night
weekend weather report.

"I always thought of meteorology and weather broadcasting synonymously,"
said Allen Strum, the station's weatherman.  "Now I have a greater
appreciation for its usefulness in special operations.  Our viewers have
benefited from hearing Sergeant Farris talk about combat weather, especially
in the midst of current world events."

People may not realize how much of an impact weather has on military
operations, Farris said.  Air Force combat weathermen provide vital weather
data to battlefield commanders for use in planning and executing a mission.

"Combat weather teams do more than predict rain," he said.

"The Army uses our weather data to decide what they're going to do as far as
weapons and tactics," Farris said. "Our missions turn into direct action.
Napoleon and Hitler lost major battles due to the Russian winter. Weather
data helped the Allies determine when to invade France, turning the tide of
World War II."

Forecasting the weekend weather does not have as great of an impact in
Florida as it does in Afghanistan, but the parallels may help people better
understand the role of combat weathermen, Farris said.

"People at home watched the weather Friday night to get a glimpse on the
weekend forecast," Farris said.  "Almost everyone's weekend plans revolve
around -- and are affected by -- the weather."

Wearing the gray beret, combat weathermen are part of the AFSOC Special
Tactics Team along with combat controllers and pararescuemen.  They are
unique within the Air Force and the Department of Defense.

Combat weathermen are part of the AFSOC team actively supporting Operation
Enduring Freedom.

"Combat weathermen not only provide valuable weather data for battlefield
commanders, they are qualified in a variety of special operations tactics --
from parachuting and survival skills, to small arms and language
proficiency," said Maj. Bob Russell, 10th Combat Weather Squadron commander.
"Combat weathermen are often the only source of weather information in a
region.  He has to provide the products to the special forces team he's
sitting with and relay it back to the other decision-makers."

Write to same address to be off lists!