-Caveat Lector-

 Hampshire College Students,  Faculty, Staff Condemn 'War On Terror'
 Hampshire Students for a Peaceful Response
 Michael Sherrard
 Kai Newkirk
 12-8-1

 AMHERST, MA - The students, faculty, and staff of Hampshire
 College have voted to condemn the "War on Terrorism" and
 propose alternative solutions. The vote, which was won by a margin
 of 693-121 (with 11 abstaining or ambiguous votes), is believed to
 the first such decision by a college community in the United States.
 (A majority of the students, faculty, and staff participated in the
 vote.)

 "Our community has spoken," said Michael Sherrard, an organizer
 with Hampshire Students for a Peaceful Response, which sponsored
 the vote and authored the anti-war resolution. "We refuse to fall
 into silent support for an unjust war that kills innocents overseas,
 and threatens our safety and civil liberties at home."

 However, organizers were quick to defend the right to free
 expression of those who disagreed with the vote.

 "As a diverse community of strong individuals, there are some at
 Hampshire who do not support our views. Even if they are in the
 minority, their opinions, and rights to free expression, must be
 respected. We wish that politicians and the media would extend the
 same respect to those of us who oppose this unjust war, or who
 happen to bear the same skin tone as Osama bin Laden," said
 Donald Jackson, also a member of Students for a Peaceful
 Response.

 Hampshire has a precedent for trend-setting political statements. In
 the early 70s, students voted for the impeachment of President
 Nixon. The college was also the first to decide to divest from
 apartheid South Africa. With this vote, organizers hope to make a
 similarly strong public statement, and build a movement which can
 similarly change the course of U.S. foreign policy.

 Students for a Peaceful Response is a multi-campus coalition in
 Western Massachusetts formed in the wake of September 11, and
 active in the growing nation-wide student movement against the
 war. It is organized around six points of unity: mourning for the
 victims of the September 11 tragedies; a call for the peaceful
 pursuit of justice, rather than war and militarism; condemnation of
 religious, racial, and ethnic scapegoating and bigotry; opposition to
 the curtailment of civil liberties; desire to provoke discussion of the
 root causes of terrorism; and recognition of global justice as the
 condition for a true and lasting peace.

 Full text of the statement approved by the community:

 The tragic day of September 11, and the days following, have been
 a time of profound suffering for people everywhere: firefighters in
 New York, secretaries in Washington D.C., and farmers in
 Afghanistan. One indiscriminate act of violence has been followed by
 another, a pattern seriously endangering the prospects for a just
 and peaceful world. In such a time of loss, we must ask ourselves -
 is there a path out of this escalating cycle of violence? Yes, we can
 respond to the tragedy of September 11 as a crime against
 humanity, carried out by individuals, not as an act of warfare for
 which a nation must be held responsible. This path would proceed
 within a framework of genuine international cooperation and be
 designed to bring to justice those guilty of the crime - without
 destroying the lives of innocent millions. It would employ the proven
 tools of transparent and conclusive investigations, diplomatic and
 police efforts, and fair courts of law to achieve its goal. At home,
 we can meet the immediate need for effective security through
 common-sense solutions that apply fairly to everyone, while
 preserving our hard-won civil liberties.

 Instead, the Bush administration has embarked upon a very different
 path - with disastrous consequences:

 * The death toll of innocent Afghan civilians killed by inevitably
 imprecise bombing is mounting.

 * The U.S. military campaign has made it impossible for international
 relief organizations to deliver the food aid necessary to prevent the
 starvation of millions of Afghan civilians in the winter now beginning.
 The token and scattered aid efforts of the United States have been
 roundly criticized as insufficient, or even counterproductive, by
 such organizations. A massive humanitarian crisis remains.

 * While the Northern Alliance has forced the Taliban from power
 (certainly a welcome development), they too possess a disturbing
 record of human-rights violations, especially against women and
 political dissidents.

 * The current suffering in Afghanistan will only deepen the
 conditions of loss and desperation which foster international
 terrorism. Even the CIA has stated that strikes against Afghanistan
 are "100% certain" to lead to terrorist reprisals.

 * The recent "U.S.A. P.A.T.R.I.O.T." Act infringes upon everyone's
 First and Fourth Amendment freedoms. Rights to privacy, speech,
 and association remain as critical as ever and are, if anything, more
 so in times of trial.

 * The proposed "economic stimulus" package provides billions of
 dollars in corporate giveaways and tax breaks, but almost nothing
 for laid-off workers and poor communities most at risk.

 * Both at home and abroad, the "War on Terrorism" is symptomatic
 of the racism of American society, in its disregard for the lives of
 people of color overseas, encouragement of racial, ethnic, and
 religious scapegoating and violence, and practice of law
 enforcement "profiling."

 * New legislative and law enforcement initiatives threaten
 specifically the rights of non-citizens, through indefinite detentions
 without indictment, military tribunals, arbitrary deportation, and
 unfair targeting of international students.

 For all of these reasons, and many more, we, the students, faculty,
 and staff of Hampshire College, have no choice but to condemn the
 current "War on Terrorism," and demand that it not be expanded to
 Iraq or any other countries. We call for the resumption of effective
 independent humanitarian aid in Afghanistan, and the immediate halt
 to the U.S. military action that prevents it. We call for a U.N.-led
 effort to establish in Afghanistan a democratic and multi-ethnic
 government, respectful of the rights of women. Furthermore, we
 demand that the Hampshire administration join us in resisting any
 arbitrary and unfair law-enforcement invasion of our own community,
 especially efforts targeting international students and campus
 activists.

 Finally, military action will never put an end to international terrorism,
 which often stems from forces that have previously received the
 support of the American government. In its place, we must, in the
 words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "rededicate ourselves to the long
 and bitter - but beautiful - struggle for a new world," a world where
 hunger, war, and economic injustice, the root causes of terrorism,
 are eliminated. This way alone leads to safety, security, and lasting
 peace. Thus, we commit the full resources and energies of our
 community to this endeavor, and challenge our colleagues at
 schools around the country, and all over the world, to do the same.