-Caveat Lector-

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20011208/wl/attack_afghan_fisk_dc_1.html

Saturday December 8 5:08 PM ET

British Reporter Fisk Badly Beaten in Pakistan
LONDON (Reuters) - British journalist Robert Fisk was
attacked and badly beaten on Saturday by a mob in
Pakistan.

Fisk, 55, a veteran foreign correspondent for the
London based Independent newspaper, was set upon by a
group of around 100 Afghan refugees after his car
broke down on the road between the Pakistani border
towns of Quetta and Chaman.

``It was a very frightening experience and I am in a
lot of pain but I am glad to be alive,'' he told a
colleague on the Independent. ``I'm going to bear the
scars for the rest of my life. Sadly I broke down in
the wrong place at the wrong time.''

The colleague told Reuters: ``He was passing through a
village full of refugees who'd just escaped from
Kandahar. Robert told me he discovered later that
they'd been bombed.

``He said that the sight of two westerners pushing a
broken down car attracted a crowd. They were friendly
at first but then a child threw a stone which hit him
on the head and then the others joined in.''

Fisk suffered injuries to his head, face and hands
after being pelted by stones. A spokeswoman for the
Independent said Fisk was recovering at his hotel in
Quetta.

``Robert says he completely understands why this
happened,'' she told Reuters. ``These people were
refugees. They've lost everything. Robert says he
understands why they're angry. He doesn't hold it
against them at all.''

Asked whether Fisk, widely acknowledged to be an
expert on the Middle East, would continue to report on
the conflict in Afghanistan the spokeswoman said:
``We're expecting Robert to be writing for the
Independent on Monday.''

http://greetings.yahoo.com