-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

ARTICLE 06 – Feedback: Army Leadership Failures Are Not New

Having read David Hackworth’s column, “Let's Lock and Load Now”
(DefenseWatch, Oct. 17), I could not agree more.

Let me I cite an incident which occurred during the Persian Gulf War. Our
Army commo unit (Bravo Co. 34 Signal Bn. 93rd Signal Bde.) had just deployed
out from the docks to a log base to fit out and wait for orders. We were a
main communications hub for VII Corps. We had drawn supplies and ammo prior
to deploying and had picked up a weapon – the AT-4 anti-tank missiles – that
no one in our unit – except myself and two other NCOs who were former 11Bs –
were familiar with.

When I saw the crates of AT-4 anti-tank missiles, I asked my 1st sergeant if
I could get them out and start training the soldiers on how to fire them. He
was literally appalled that I would make such a request. His response: “Look,
sergeant, we are in the business of doing communications; we will never have
to fire those weapons, and I plan on turning those missiles back in unopened
once this war is finished.”

I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Not only were we forbidden to place a
loaded magazine in our M-16s, nor could the M-203 gunners draw grenades, nor
were the M-60 teams allowed to break down the ammunition between ball and
tracer, nor were we issued hand grenades; now we could not train up on a new
weapon that had been issued to us.

We received our orders to jump into the neutral zone in preparation of the
VII Corps swing north then east … and we convoyed to the neutral zone. As I
finished the duty roster for the team, two Hummers came screaming onto the
site, one with a TOW launcher on top. The young lieutenant jumped into the
back of my commo rig and asked if I were operations. I pointed the frantic
lieutenant in the right direction, and he jumped from my rig to ops. Within a
minute, my company commander called, telling me we had an Iraqi armor
regiment headed in our direction, and that we needed to establish a perimeter
immediately.

My first thought was to find that 1st sergeant and give him a piece of my
mind. Quickly, we started deploying the soldiers around the site, then I went
and found the AT-4s. We had 30 missiles for 80 [Iraqi] armored vehicles. The
company commander gave the order to prepare for evacuation.

A skeleton crew was designated to stay behind to cause a delaying action so
that, (1) All communications rigs could be destroyed by thermite grenades,
and (2) To give the main body time to get out of the area on a couple of
5-ton trucks.

I and the two other NCOs broke down the AT-4s and began issuing the missiles
to those designated to stay, and gave each soldier an extremely short block
of instruction on how to operate the weapon. I expected we would make five
hits out of 30 at best. We knew we were going to be slaughtered. Those who
did not have a missile, M203 grenade launcher, or members of an M60 team were
instructed to evacuate once the Iraqis were sighted.

I remember it started to rain. The site where we were located was a small
rise in a relatively flat area. With E-tools in hand, the soldiers began to
dig in, but two to three inches down, hit solid rock. Now all we could do was
move earth up in front of our positions.

I wanted to scream at the futility of the situation, but continued handing
out AT-4s.  Soldiers lay in cold, wet puddles. Our XO knew we didn't stand a
chance and broke the standing order of radio silence to report that in the
distance he could see vehicles moving in our direction. Two squadrons of
Apache attack helicopters answered the call.

The accompanying OH-58s landed next to our site and received a sitrep from
the XO, then lifted off in the direction that the lieutenant had reported the
Iraqi movement. I

remember the 1st sergeant walking around the perimeter giving his approval of
our set-up. (I and the other two NCOs had set the whole thing up without
guidance from him or the CO.

In the end, the Iraqi armored regiment turned around shortly after crossing
into Saudi Arabia, the Apaches never did get the opportunity to engage, and
our unit went about the business of communicating. The next day, the brigade
sergeant-major stopped by the site to see how everyone was doing. I gave the
CSM an earful.

After hearing my take on the situation, the company commander and 1st
sergeant were called into my rig while I was told to wait outside. We
received AT-4 training that very next day. I figured that if anyone would
understand where I was coming from, it would be my command sergeant-major,
for he was a Vietnam veteran.

Col. Hackworth’s article struck a chord in me and brought back memories I had
laid to rest. In 1996 I decided to ETS from the Army as the political
environment was becoming too much to bear. My chain of command was more
concerned with my soldiers making board appearances than they were about such
basic things as weapons qualification or skill level 1 CTT qualification.

I believe his article has identified a problem that has existed for a very
long time: the chain of command lacks trust in the soldier. How can a soldier
be ready for a fight when the troop has his nose stuck in a “soldier of the
month” manual? How can a soldier be ready to fight when he sees the M16 range
only twice a year, or the M203 range once a year – and only for
familiarization, not qualification?

Yes, peace does come at a price, but why should that price be the life of an
American soldier because he wasn't trained correctly? I hope the military
leadership will address this problem and seek out the money needed to keep
soldiers current in their combat readiness. When the time comes, everyone is
a rifleman. I just hope they know how to use the weapon effectively.

--A.K., USA (Ret.)

Table of Contents

ARTICLE 07 – Future Limits in Human Intelligence Collection

Second of Four Parts

By J. David Galland

The experience gained by the United States and its intelligence community
over the past 50 years has prepared us well to identify the problems and
limitations we will be facing in the field in the coming decades ahead.

The United States is, in fact, already facing these limiting parameters and
conditions and they are expected to become more serious and more complex as
we proceed well into the new millennium.

The anticipated problems that the intelligence community expects to face in
the realm of clandestine human collection are many. What is arguably one of
the most serious encumbrances to mission accomplishment is the changing
foreign perceptions of U. S. capabilities and intentions. The reader may find
this hard to believe, given the many years of military and intelligence
cooperation with the former West Germany, but in today's Germany,
intelligence collection by the United States is considered a hostile act if
collected on German soil.

This is a diametrically opposed position to the fertile collection
environment and bi-lateral operations, which were to prevalent in West
Germany only twelve years ago, by many counties allied with The
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, more commonly known as West Germany.

Given the popularity of the many Hollywood renditions of espionage stories
notwithstanding, it is rare to have an intelligence source who enters into
and continues in that role for reasons of venality. Material considerations
do, naturally, constitute an established form of motivation for many
intelligence sources. However, since these sources are human, their
motivations are normally complex and frequently extremely so.

For example, an 82-year-old source, released from Poland in 1988, to travel
to the West, became a bountiful source with a long-term quality intelligence
"take." He was motivated because over the years, as he worked as a medical
researcher in Poland, he and his colleagues were poisoned by KGB medical
teams. The KGB teams had concealed deadly levels of mercury in his laboratory
to measure the long term, highly elevated exposure of humans, and the
resultant medical complications.

A source who considers himself an employee or appendage of his home country's
government, may feel compelled to become a U.S. intelligence agent primarily
by idealism, genuine or rationalized. The source, or potential source, may be
acting chiefly on the strength of such a basically emotional stimuli as
despair over the policies and actions of his own government. Or, it may be
the internal situation in his country or bitter resentment at what the source
perceives to be his unjust treatment by his employer.

The source may, without the knowledge or the consent of his employer, view
his assumption of his ascribed role of a U. S. intelligence source as the
most available and logical means of communicating the plans of his government
to well placed officials in the U.S. government. Without official sanction of
his government, this source acts to ensure that the United States both
comprehends what his government is doing and in so doing, ensures U. S.
support of his own country's positions and policies. Whatever the source's
motivation, however, his perception of U. S. defense capabilities and/or
governmental policy intentions will, almost exclusively, not be the critical
operative factor or impetus particularly in the case of the source who is
motivated by genuine idealism.

Another contemporary example might concern a source in the Middle East. This
source may vehemently deplore what he construes as a one-sided U. S. support
for Israel. In fact, the source may have a bitter hatred for the United
States because what he perceives to be one-sidedness by the United States on
the Arab-Israeli conflicts. However the source may also grudgingly view the
United States  as the only government that has the influential capability to
bring this long-term discontent to a solution since it is the only country in
the world that can exert leverage on Israel to accept compromises which Arabs
consider absolute prerequisites to any potential peace.

In a somewhat narrower Arab-Israeli context, a functionary of a Palestinian
national organization might well be motivated to accept or even actively seek
the role of a human source for U. S. intelligence (USI) and not only for the
aforementioned reasons. However, because of the strong desire of Palestinians
to have the United States accept, embrace, and recognize Palestinian
nationality and eventually, a Palestinian state, the functionary’s
motivations may be considered well founded and worthy of maturing in the role
as a USI source.

Situations such as the Arab-Israeli conflicts or the levels of Russian
current or previous expansionism, or perceived American expansionism and
aggression, generate their own particular forms of motivations in the minds
of potential human collection sources. Note that foreign perceptions of U. S.
defense capabilities and policy intentions will always constitute important
positive, or negative, motivational factors. Certainly not to legitimize
Osama Bin Laden's views or beliefs, however, it is obvious that a person who
is driven to incomprehensible extremes must, in his mind, have important
motivational factors, in spite of an apparent clouded thought process.

Whatever his background or nationality, a potential source [delete: is a
citizen or functionary of a friendly, neutral, or hostile foreign country],
if he is sane, is almost surely bound to ask himself how relevant will his
covert collaboration with USI be to the larger purposes he seeks to serve.
The potential source's perception, that if the U. S. is neither willing or
able to act decisively to protect its national interests in the area of his
concern it is likely he will be unwilling to undertake the personal
inconvenience and risk that the role of a covert human source may inevitably
entail.

Perceptions abroad of U. S. capabilities and intentions tend to be rather
widely shared among both pro- and anti-American elements in a given country
of focus. If this general perception is that the United States is a
proverbial paper tiger, it will impede our human intelligence collection
effort and just as surely, will favor the human collection efforts of our
adversaries.

J. David Galland, Deputy Editor of DefenseWatch, is the pen name of a career
U.S. Army senior Non-Commissioned Officer currently serving in Germany. He
can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Write to same address to be off lists!

screeds are unwelcomed. Substancenot soap-boxingplease!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright fraudsis used politically by different groups with