-Caveat Lector-

OK, this was not unexpected. Omar and bin Laden will either never show up,
and possibly then be somehow declared "dead," or they will find bodies so
torn up and mutilated that there will be no conclusive proof. Think the bin
Laden family would subject themselves to DNA samples to test a body? Hmmm

But this is weird. Omar reportedly escaped on a motorbike with four of his
men ... on *one* motorbike ... with four other men. Were they running
alongside the bike, or were they on the handlebars, side-saddle and all
that, like a clown bicycle in a circus?

Maybe I'm being too pedantic, but really ... Omar escaped with four of his
men on a (singular) motorbike ... ??? Even if I'm being nitpicky, and that
the motorbike merely implies the vehicle which Omar himself used, with the
others perhaps having their own, it still conjured up a funny picture in my
mind. And, at the very least, it illustrates a startling lack of
intelligence on our part and/or incomplete reporting on how the whole band
of five might have traveled, or that this is just another aspect of the
media-govt shell game underway now that the "exciting" part of the war is
over in Afghanland ...

Hey, even Rumsfeld has said we may never find bin Laden, so why not lump in
Omar with that variable?

I suspect that, if they are dead, this is part of the strategy - no martyr,
no martyrdom vengeance, right?

Meanwhile the warlords are still impsing Sharia law, but with a bit more
compassion - hanged bodies will only be on display for 15 minutes, not four
days, and stonings are to be done with smaller rocks; poppy production is
back in full tilt, and aid shipment lootings and chaos are growing. Thank
goodness that nasty Taliban is gone.

- jt

---

from -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1743000/1743813.stm

Saturday, 5 January, 2002, 08:32 GMT
Mullah Omar 'flees on motorbike'

Taleban militia leader Mullah Mohammad Omar has escaped from his hideout in
southern Afghanistan on a motorbike, according to an Afghan official.

The head of intelligence in Kandahar, Haji Gulalai, told the BBC that all
the Taleban sympathisers around the area of Baghran in the Helmand province
had surrendered to anti-Taleban forces.

But the whereabouts of Mullah Omar - who apparently escaped with four
sympathisers - are not known.

The BBC's Richard Miron, who is in the Afghan capital Kabul, says it has not
been confirmed that Mullah Omar was in the Baghran area - and his reported
escape adds to confusion about his fate.

The surrender of Taleban sympathisers in the area, who were able to go free
after handing over their weapons, was brokered during the last few days in
negotiations with local tribal leaders.

Our correspondent says their submission appears to indicate the weakness of
the remnants of the Taleban movement in the country.

Earlier, it emerged that an American soldier had been killed in combat in
Afghanistan - the first US serviceman to die from hostile fire since the
American military campaign that toppled the Taleban regime began nearly
three months ago.

He was killed during an exchange of gunfire near the town of Khost in the
east of the country, near the border with Pakistan.

The US general in charge of the Afghan campaign, Tommy Franks, said the
soldier was part of a special forces team liaising with local tribal forces.

General Franks added that his death showed the dangerous nature of mopping
up operations against the Taleban and their allies, Osama Bin Laden's
al-Qaeda terror network.

Bin Laden is accused of masterminding the 11 September suicide attacks on
New York and Washington that sparked the US military campaign.

Afghanistan's interim leader, Hamid Karzai, has committed his government to
capturing Mullah Omar.

"We are looking for him, Mullah Omar. He is a criminal of an international
standard and he should be delivered. If the US wants him, we will deliver
him to the United States," Mr Karzai told the American ABC news.

Mr Karzai also said he supported the continuing bombardment of suspected
Taleban and al-Qaeda sites by the US.

"Primarily I want the war against terrorism to continue. This is a pledge we
have made to the Afghan people - to free them from terrorism," he said.

But he cautioned: "We want our civilians not to be caught in the middle of
fighting between our forces and the terrorists, or the American bombings and
terrorism."

Al-Qaeda compound

The US says it is continuing to bomb a suspected al-Qaeda compound in the
Khost region, near the border with Pakistan.

The Pakistan-based Afghan Islamic Press news agency reported that the air
strikes had killed 32 people, quoting witnesses as saying the bombing was so
intense that residents had no chance to remove bodies.

The same compound was attacked in August 1998 following the bombings of US
embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

"It has been a place where the al-Qaeda goes to regroup," said General
Richard Myers, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He declined to describe in detail what triggered the attack, which was
launched on Thursday, except to say "activity" had been detected there.

Tribal leaders in Baghran are known to be unhappy about continued American
bombing in the area, which they say has led to unnecessary civilian
casualties.

The United Nations says it has reliable reports that 52 civilians were
killed when US jets hit the Afghan village of Qalaye Niazi last week.