Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:39:07 +0100
From: Vectress <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: eFreePalestine! Mistaken assertions that Arafat has not condemned
    terror "in Arabic"

Mistaken assertions that Arafat has not condemned terror "in Arabic"
By Daoud Kuttab

http://www.pna.net/coveragetrends/condemnation.shtml

Specifically, Bush wants the Arab leaders to compel Arafat to crack down on
Palestinian militants. Powell will warn them they will bear responsibility
if terrorism continues, said a senior Bush administration official. The
appeal to Arab moderates also reflects Bush's frustrations with Palestinian
leader Yasser Arafat, whom Bush seems to be giving a final chance to get
involved in the peace process. "He needs to speak clearly, in Arabic, to the
people of that region and condemn terrorist activities. At the very minimum,
he ought to at least say something," Bush said.

Source: "Bush Expresses Concern to Sharon", by Ron Fournier, White House
Correspondent, Associated Press, 7 April 2002.

9 April 2002 -- Contrary to what US President George Bush and various media
sources have said about Palestinian President Yasser Arafat needing to
condemn suicide bombings "in Arabic", below are translations of three recent
statements made by Arafat or representatives of the Palestinian Authority
and broadcast in Arabic over the Voice of Palestine radio station, Palestine
TV, or WAFA (the Palestinian Authority's official news agency):

Arafat: "On this occasion, I would like once again to reiterate our
condemnation of yesterday's operation in Netanya, in which a number of
innocent Israeli civilians were killed and wounded. This operation
constitutes a deviation from our policy and a violation of our national and
human values. I affirm our commitment to working toward an immediate
cease-fire, as we informed General Zinni. We highly value his efforts. We
informed him that we are ready for the immediate implementation of the
Tenet's work plan without conditions, and without prejudicing any of its
articles. Also, we have informed him of our readiness to implement the
Mitchell Report recommendations in cooperation with the four-way
US-Russian-European-UN committee headed by Gen. Zinni."

Source: Arafat speech broadcast on Palestinian TV, in Arabic, on 28 March
2002, at 20:08 GMT.

Abd-al-Rahman: "The Palestinian leadership strongly denounces the Netanya
operation against Israeli civilians, particularly because it was carried out
today, during the Passover and when General Zinni is continuing his mission
to bring about a cease-fire."

Source: PA's Abd-al-Rahman Criticizes Netanya Bombing, Ramallah Voice of
Palestine, in Arabic, on 28 March 2002, at14:00 GMT.

Arafat: "Today, I emphasize once again the complete and immediate halt to
all armed operations. Once again, I call for a complete halt to all
operations, especially suicidal operations, which we have always condemned.
We will punish all those who carry out and mastermind such operations. This
also applies to the firing of mortar shells, which have no objective but to
provide an excuse for the Israeli attacks on us, our people, our children,
and our women. Any violation of this decision will be considered an attempt
to harm the higher national interests of our people and of our Arab nation."

Source: Speech by Yasir Arafat, PA president and PLO chairman on the
occasion of Id al-Fitr in Ramallah, Gaza Palestine Satellite Channel
Television, in Arabic, on 16 December 2001 at 16:00 GMT.

All content ©2000 electronicIntifada.net unless otherwise noted.

++++++++++++++++++++++ eFreePalestine! ++++++++++++++++++++++
TALK is CHEAP Mr. President! Muttering “Enough is enough,” is NOT Enough!
Sharon spills Palestinian blood in Jenin and Nablus. Stop him Now—NOW!
++++++++++++++++++++++ eFreePalestine! ++++++++++++++++++++++
Blessed are the Peacemakers NOT the Bombmakers!
Chronic INJUSTICE is the ROOT of TERRORISM!
www.FreePalestineCampaign.org Be a Peacemaker in PALESTINE!
Fighting TERRORISM while AIDING OCCUPATION is Moronic!
END TERRORISM by ENDING Israeli OCCUPATION Stupid!
SHARON NOW = MILOSEVIC Then = HITLER IN 1942!
Peace Only in a Legislatively DEzIONIZED Secular State!
Aiding Israeli OCCUPATION = Aiding TERRORISM!
Where Does Our Simplistic Absolutist President Stand?!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Speak up on FreePalestine!
Views expressed are the author's only*