From:   nick royall, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The Motto of the Artists Rifles is "Artia cum Marte" which translate as
"fine Art with war" and the badge symbols are the Minerva, Roman Goddess of
the arts and Mars, god of war and was designed by W. Wyon, who was the
designer of the coinage for queen Victoria and medals for the Great
Exhibition, himself an Artists member. The magazine for old boys is still
Mars and Minerva, as it has always been.
The motto you quote is
" we the pilgrims do follow you, the master, each day a little further, over
the blue mountains barred with snow, across the tawdry sea."  and is a
corruption of a couple of lines from Rudyard Kipling and can be found on the
clocktower at Hereford along with the names of all those who died on active
service. If you leave after your service you have "beaten the clock".
There is a history book listing the service records of every member up to
and during WW1 but everything afterwards is harder to find. I suggest that
IG contacts a policeman (probably retired now) from Devon by the name of J
Kingshott as he used to edit "Mars and Minerva". His son's name is one of
those on the clock.

Nick

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]