From:   Jonathan Spencer, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I intend to buy a heavy barrel .308 in the near future, principally for
>target use, possible occasional red deer, and would like to hear
>experience/opinion from users of the Ruger M77 VT MK 2.

My M77 Mk II was in 243.  It came with a trigger in excess of 7lbs, and
which had bad creep.  With my hand loads, and the bullet seated well out
to the lands, it would shoot 3/4 to 1 inch 3 round groups at a 100
yards.  (That was good enough for me.)  The rifle you're looking at
presumably has the same action and trigger.  My trigger was improved by
a US riflesmith who polished it and lightened the trigger as much as he
could, to 5lbs.  The trigger, unlike the Rem 700 and the Win 70, is not
adjustable.  I think Timney now make a trigger for the Mk II (but
check).

>I have tried the Remington 700 VSSF and found it uncomfortable to hold and
>shoot, possibly because I have quite small hands although I have no problem
>with my Lee-Enfield No4 or Ruger M77 MK1.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Varmint.  This is wooden stocked
with a blued action & barrel, the barrel having a No. 5 taper.  This
means that the barrel tapers more than the Rem 700 Varmint barrel does.
I found the Rem to be muzzle heavy when fired from the shoulder, whereas
the Win is better balanced.  And the Win has an adjustable trigger.

I've used this rifle for roe and red stalking, in addition to foxing and
on crows.  It's a fine rifle, but having carried it up a 2,200 feet
climb, I can say that it's not something you want to do too often.  It
weighs 10lbs at the start of the day, and considerably more than that at
the end of the day.  :-)

--Jonathan Spencer, firearms examiner

"Justice is open to everybody in the same way as the Ritz Hotel."
Judge Sturgess, 22 July 1928

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]