From:   "Alex Hamilton", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>And  your point is?  If you seriously think that rapid fire
competitions
>caused the demise of pistol shooting then you aren't on the same planet
as me.

No, Kenneth, I don't think that rapid fire had much to do with it!

Ferocious looking characters, unshaven, unwashed, wearing camoufage
uniforms, pot bellied with knives sticking out of their boots .......
get the picture?   If they were playing violins I would consider banning
music!

>However I have competed in Police Pistol, Military
>Pistol and conventional slow fire competitions.  I now shoot muzzle
>pistol and gallery rifle competitions.  I have also shot clay pigeon
>competetions and actively engage in rough shooting.  So which of my
"type of
>shooting" don't you think is going to survive.

Probably none of it. (that is my OPINION, but I neither wish it nor
support any ban)

>Frankly if I really thought
>that we were fighting JUST to keep the "Bisley type of shooting" going,
and I
>take it you mean TR, then I wouldn't bother.  I support shooting
generally,
>not just my, fairly catholic, interests.  I also do not agree that our
>opinions are irrelevant, if I did I wouldn't be continuing the fight.

But you are not fighting the government, are you!  You are fighting me
and people like me! You think it is OK to say that you would not miss
TR, but if anybody asks what 50 cal shooting is that is terrible! Why?

>> What really matters is what the government thinks that the population
>> wants

>When did that start?  If it was true we wouldn't be subject to such a
lot of
>lying propaganda everytime they want to ban something.

When did it start!? Well over 2,000 years ago in Athens.

>>In terms of publicly perceived danger 50 calibre is somewhat
>> above any other discipline that I can think of.

>You must be joking here, 90% of the population have never heard of it.

But the government has heard of it.  And whed they send a TV team to
investigate they will find a few shooters, keen to demonstrate how a 50
cal can kill a man through a double brick wall, or penetrate lightly
armoured vehicle..........!  And if they don't find anybody willing to
demostrate that, they will pose as shooters and do it themselves.  Then
the public will hear about it (go back and read about "ferocious looking
characters)!!!!!

>  your remarks are well and truly out of place

Why?  Are they?  Can you be more specific (although I would rather you
were not).

Only a few days ago I was talking to a head master of a local school and
he told me that he thought that the government did the right thing to
ban "all guns" after Dunblane.  I think I managed to convince him that
he was wrong.   But had I called him a Luddite, told him that he did not
know what he was taking about (even though he didn't) bashed myself in
the chest and demanded my rights, I am sure he would have walked away
convinced that the pistol ban was the best thing since sliced bread!

Would it not be more sensible and less boring if we were to agree to
differ and say no more about 50 cal?

You keep your dislikes to yourself and if you do not see any point in
fighting to save Bisley, don't!

As for myself, I like all forms of shooting, but available time does not
allow me to participate in everything and I genuinely have never seen a
50 cal rifle and did not know the courses of fire nor anything about it,
other than its military origins.

Alex
--
Alex, you're attempting to condone improper behaviour.  If a TV
crew dresses up as shooters and ponces about with a .50 (very

Also, this opinion of shooters wearing camo gear etc. is
nonsensical gibberish, and the reason quite frankly why so many
non-TR shooters do look down on TR shooters.  It's a myth.

The extent of shooters wearing camo gear are a few diehards out
on the range in cold weather attempting to keep warm with cheap
army surplus gear.  IPSC and UKPSA rules specifically prohibit
wearing it, I might add.  As do NRA rules and the rules of just
about every other target shooting organisation I can think of.

Stop repeating stereotypes, you're helping no-one by doing so.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01