From:   "Earl W", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>I was concerned too that at the last "Pistol AD" that there were a number
of
black people present also. One can most definitely "judge a book by its
cover"! Drug dealers and illegal "Yardies" seeking to buy "off-ticket guns"
with money made from prostitution and false-passport rackets. It made my
flesh shiver to see their brown hands handling fine Smith & Wesson pistols
and asking "How much".<
========
Richard, I do sincerely hope that you are taking the piss! Are you of
totally pure heritage, one of the "master race" or are you taking the
piss??? My apologies if you are joking.

The very basis of the sport of shooting in all its forms, is that anyone of
any Nationality, Sex,  Ability or Disability (or "Class") can compete
against anyone else on a level basis - The Para-Olympics springs to mind.

There are not & should not be any barriers to anyone starting the sport of
shooting as long as they meet the safety requirements to do so.

Men, Women, Boys & Girls, can all compete on level footing against each
other on the same level - WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN PROMOTED???

At my local club, there is a mix of sexes & ages from 17 - 84 of men &
women,  where else at what other clubs/sports do you get such a diversity of
individuals (except for SCUBA Diving which costs L1500 to get started in -
though interestingly many Shooters, are also Divers)

I have competed against Champions, Beginners & all in between
I have taught Firearms proficiency to friends & girlfriends, cousins,
nieces, all of whom are now safer, more aware & proficient in the subject of
firearms (& not believing the anti's BS) than they would otherwise be.

Where the shooting organisations fail miserably is to promote the BENEFITS
OF SHOOTING, & this is what they should concentrate on.

The Benefits to the Individual, - Concentration, Dexterity, better health,
ingenuity, mental skills - maths, judging distances, wind speed, the effect
that the various factors will have on the projectile etc

  - The Eyesight is maintained through the regular exercise of sighting the
firearm, & Stigmatism's can be fixed by this method, even individual use of
each eye can be achieved - how many non shooters have that skill, definitely
a bonus when driving in traffic!!!

The Benefits to History, the American West would only have been recorded as
a Hollywood version if it was not for the efforts of firearm historians

The Benefits to the Economy

The Benefits to Community & Society - Disciplined, Law abiding, caring,
thoughtful individuals who are able to work as a team.

            -    Conservation & maintenance of the ranges, resulting in a
wider array of wildlife

The Benefits to Crime reduction - Lower rates of Burglary in areas where the
burglar may encounter an armed householder - how many farms are burgled
compared with the same number of houses?

            - Reduction in attacks on the person where CCW is permitted

The Benefits to the Military & Police - Development of new technology, If a
firearm is crap we say so (SA80) & it gets fixed (We aid the semi only
versions of the SA80 were crap, but they banned them before the
manufacturers took notice)

            -    Customising & aftermarket add ons/improvements that can be
adopted or bought by the serving personnel

            -    Developing techniques in competition that is "state of the
art" long before the military / Police adopt it

            -    Improved ballistics & cartridge/powder development (Hunters
in Alaska & Finland) - OO Buckshot - Developed for hunting larger mammals -
later adopted by Police & Military to hunt Humans!

            -    Police & Military teams can compete alongside shooters,
which is of benefit to all concerned, increases proficiency, respect among
the teams, comments on equipment selection, technique

            -    Snipers are really Stalkers, who at time of war hunt Humans

            -    Shooters have a wealth of knowledge which is shared openly
that the Police / Military don't have E.G. Issuing a beginners gun -
Revolver / Exposed hammer auto, instead of an advanced shooters gun....The
Glock 17 & 9mm...
 ie. the correct tool for the job.

These are just some of the points that we & the associations should promote
each day, everyday every chance we get.

Shooting unlike so many other sports is open to EVERYONE who wants to take
part (as long as they are of sound mind),  no matter what the condition of
their bodies, background or race - how much trouble has there been at the
Olympics between Shooting Teams compared with every other sport present, a
lot less I'd wager.

My Apologies again if you were joking.

Can anyone add other benefits of shooting to the list - could be useful at
the March In March

N.B. Shooters ARE the definition of Sportsmen / Sportswomen / Sportsperson.
WE are a commodity that should be revered
Regards
EW
--
Being one of the most sarcastic persons on Earth I can tell you from
experience that sarcasm doesn't come over too well in emails.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01