From:   "Neil Roberts", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I still don't really understand the BASC's lack of
action back in 1987
and 1988 as the Firearms (Amendment) 1988 had a pretty
profound impact
on field sports although perhaps someone at BASC can
provide more details.

Steve.

-------------------

I think for the reason you may have to look a bit
further back than then. I recall being at the AGM where
Colin Greenwood had proposed many resolution. The jest
of his resolutions seemed to be that BASC had to become
more political and active, to save all forms of
shooting and hunting. I remember vividly how anti
rifle/handgun/target shooter's where bussed in by
hundreds, how posters, leaflets etc where given out at
hunts and shoot's, urging members to attend and stop
the association being taken over. It is fairly plain
that BASC did (not sure about now) appear to adopt the
attitude that bans on target shooting has nothing to do
with them. So come 87/88 they just continued with the
same line.

Now of course that it is field not target shooting that
is under threat it "let's stick together time". I
realise things may, and I say may have changed since
that appalling meeting but I can not see may pistol/SLR
rifle target shooters lending their support.