Matt,

In your Dec 23 piece http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/29/national/29CRAS.html you cited concerns that there might be privacy and legal issues regarding ownership of data acquired by their auto's recorders. I agree. If the industry adopts open standard between the senor and data recording subsystems the stage could be set for car owners to purchase after-market recorders which encrypt the data and keep it private, even in the face of subpoenas. I suspect those maintaining that this area of law is settled have either not thought this through are have an unspoken agenda.

steve