On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Matthew X wrote:

> Too much egg-nog? Try...
> Stoicism
>  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
> Stoicism is a school of philosophy commonly associated with such
> philosophers as Cicero, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus.
> Organized at Athens in the third century B.C.E. (310 BC) by Zeno of Citium
> and Chrysippus. The Stoics provided a unified account of the world that
> comprised formal logic, materialistic physics, and naturalistic ethics.
> Later Roman Stoics emphasized more exclusively the development of
> recommendations for living in harmony with a natural world over which one
> has no direct control.

So much for Coase's Theorem...

> Living according to nature or reason, they held, is living in conformity
> with the divine order of the universe. The four cardinal virtues of the
> Stoic philosophy are wisdom, courage, justice, and temperance, a
> classification derived from the teachings of Plato.

Do much for 'greed is good'.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org