[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Any government needs appropriate leadership,

that is an assumption, as yet unproven. I agree that it DOES sound good,
but it is still an assumption. since the rest of your argument rests on
it, you should give it a little more support.

> especially in its
> infancy.. and those leaders need to be dedicated to that government
> deep in their bones.

one could argue (playing devils advocate here) that a GOOD government
system is good enough to survive a couple crooks.

> I don't think that the United States has done so well because
> representative democracy and capitalism are so great and clearly
> superior. I think we have done well because the Founder's, for all
> their faults, truly believed in the ideals of the government they
> were creating.. and so they got us off on a good start.
>
> We have since fucked it up but good.

from what I can see from over here - yepp. but it isn't much different
here, only that our foundations are a bit younger (1945) and thus
there's still a bit of it left. :-/