From: David Marshall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 5:31 PM
To: Josh Rice
Cc: Kurth Bemis; Daniel; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: jolly roger

Josh Rice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, have you ever done anything on the net before?

I've been using the Internet the late 1980s.

> "ppl" is chat shorthand
> for people. Come on. Get into the 21st.

Considering that it takes only a fraction of a second longer to type
"people" than it does to type "ppl," I don't quite see the
point. "People" isn't like "I am not a lawyer" (IAMAL), or "if I
recall correctly" (IIRC), or other full phrases which are shortened
due to their length and frequent use. Substituting "ppl" for "people"
is on par with substituting "ur" for "you are," "r" for "are," "4" for
"for," and "u" for "you," or leaving out capitalization and
punctuation. Of course, "ppl" is not *anywhere* near as annoying.

But more to the point, I've seen "PPL" used as shorthand for "people
of the proletariat" before, which I why I asked and didn't just ignore
it.