x-mailing-list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kesuvos 068: hebrew chart (middle chart)

allen schuldenfrei asked:

First, thank you for resuming the hebrew charts. I find them to be very helpful
in understanding the gemarah.

Second, I direct your attention to the middle chart. I am wondering whether
both lines may be inaccurate. In the first line, certainly Shmuel and Rava and
maybe even R' Yehuda say "shamin bedaito shel ha'av im kamtzan oh nadvan" is
only if there is basis to evaluate the father's stinginess or generosity; but
when there's no such basis then they agree w/ the Chachmim and Rebbi.

Conversely, Rebbi (in line 2) says we give her 1/10 is true only if there's no
basis to asses father's stinginess/generosity but if there's a basis will agree
that we follow the father's predisposition like R' Yehuda. While the Chachamim
ALWAYS give her 1/10.

Thank you for your time.
Allen schuldenfrei, baltimore, maryland USA
The Kollel replies:

The second one is correct. The Gemara specifically establishes Rava ruling like
Rebbi, who says that a daughter ... receives a tenth from the brothers, in a
situation where one is unable to assess the father, and this statement pertains
to Rebbi’s statement, no less than to Rava’s ruling. In effect then, Rebbi may
well hold like Rebbi Yehudah. (The chart has been corrected on our website.)

I cannot however, agree with your first query. Firstly, how can you say ‘Shmuel
... and *maybe* even R. Yehudah, say ‘Shamin be’Da’ato shel ha’Av ...  ‘, when
the Gemara specifically establishes Shmuel like Rebbi Yehudah?

Secondly, the Gemara concludes ‘Kamashma Lan Ta’ama de’Rebbi Yehudah de’Azlinan
Basar Umdena, Lo Shna Hisi’ah, ve’Lo Shna Lo Hisi’ah ... ‘, so how can you
suggest otherwise?

Be’Virchas Kol Tuv
Eliezer Chrysler

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

5:15 PM