x-mailing-list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

              THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

  brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
 Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld [EMAIL PROTECTED]

General: Did Eisav have a Bris?

Mordechai Goldstein asked:

B"H

Did Esav have a Bris?  The pasuk doesn't  say anything about Yakov's bris, but
in my Chumash Torah Temimah it cites Avos DRN, that "Ish Tam" means he was born
mahol, so I'm thinking that if they were twins Esav was mahol also.

Also was this tzivui in effect, ie, you see it by Avraham and Yitzchak spoken
out b'feirush in psukim, no?  but not here.  Of course the Avos kept all the
mitvos. And Esav is not one of the Avos, so, maybe their was no tzivui on him?
That doesn't seem mashma though because of course the Chiyuv would be on
Yitzchak.

What do you think?

Best,
Mordechai Goldstein
----------------------------
The Kollel replies:

According to some commentaries, Eisav was born Mahul (though I do not see any
reason to assume that this was because Ya’akov was, as you suggest). As a
matter of fact, according to the Avos de’Rebbi Nasan that you quoted, if Eisav
too, was Nolad Mahul, why does the Torah refer specifically to Ya’akov as ‘Ish
Tam’ and not to Eisav?

Other commentaries explain that because Eisav was extremely ruddy at birth, his
father, thinking that he was hemophilic, postponed the Milah. As time
progressed however, and nothing changed, he decided to wait until he turned
thirteen, at which point Eisav refused.

The Gemara in Sanhedrin (59b) asks: Considering that the Torah writes in
Lech-Lecha (17:9) “And as for you, you shall observe my B’ris, you and your
children after you”, how come that the sons of Yishmael are not commanded to
keep the Mitzvah of Milah?

And it answers: Because the Torah writes in Vayeira (21:21) “ ... for in
Yitzchak, will be called for you seed (and not in Yishmael).

In that case, the Gemara asks further: Why are the sons of Eisav not commanded?

And it answers: Because the Torah writes “for *in Yitzchak* ... , from which we
extrapolate “in Yitzchak”, ‘but not all of Yitzchak’, thereby precluding Eisav
from the Mitzvah (and from all other Mitzvos).

Incidentally, the same Gemara, based on another Pasuk in Lech-Lecha (17:14)
does include the sons of Keturah (Avraham’s third [or as Rashi explains, Hagar
re-named] in the Mitzvah of Milah.

Be’Virchas Kol Tuv
Eliezer Chrysler

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf
Write to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Fax(US):(206) 202-0323; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004

5:58 PM