I think they are all stored as native date/time types, depending on database support. Either that, or strings that are parsed back to Date objects. Have a look at the data_objects code for your database, to confirm this behavior. I don't think this will be much of a constraint, however, unless you're dealing with billions of records. In smaller apps, the main constraint is programming time and comfort, which is why I was talking about the Ruby types =)