On 1 July 2013 10:28, Venkata Pingali <ping...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I meant coordination process. Many tasks involving data (esp collection)
> tend to be time consuming. I did a bunch of that in my previous life
> (lots of calls, emails, travel, campaigns etc.). It is hard to do it now.

Agreed. As you mentioned, and as I also believe, the technology
is the relatively easy part.

> BTW, I didnt imply that there needs to be monetary incentive, even in
> industry. I believe that open data is a reward in itself.

Well, here we will have to agree to disagree.

IMHO, this particular problem is of a scale and complexity that
cannot easily be addressed in a voluntary context. One might be
able to build a prototype, or even a working system, using open-
source volunteers working free of cost (personally, I think that
even this will be very difficult given the current status in India).
However, sustaining it is not something that can be done without
significant funding. Just the hosting costs will run into at least a
couple lakhs/year at any reasonable scale.

Regards,
Gora

--
For more details about this list