This is regarding collaborations with private firms and organizations.
Datameet often works with various organizations both for profit as well as
not for profit, including government departments. While we do share data
internally/publicly depending on the license constraints and the work we
are involved with, it happens from a personal trust point of the member
leading it rather than a signed MoU at organization level. Generally most
of the organizations we work with are reputed enough and are part of the
data community too.

But with the explosion of the data as an asset, we often get contacted by
new private players whom we don't know or unsure to work with from a
community perspective. Sometimes these players offer money as incentive, or
do not really understand the open source licenses to attribute us. Some
might be saying they have an MoU with us even though we officially don't
have a MoU with any organization as far as I know. I know we can't legally
sue them for advertising us freely.

My question is, since we are a trust now. Should we at-least have a
framework to partner with other organizations and non-binding MoU (as we
don't deal with money) facilitating the process? This is just to minimize
all the unnecessary calls and meetings we go through which doesn't result
in anything fruitful with all new players. We could put up a page with whom
we have worked in the past, whom we are working with now, with the MoU's in
place on what we are working with the said organization.

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali
www.lostprogrammer.com