Briefly, you have the freedom to set this up to meet your system's memory
constraints.  You'll have to identify your application's memory constraints and
configure CMEM appropriately.

And some background to help you better understand what's going on in CMEM...

Some details in this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/davinci-linux-open-source@linux.davincidsp.com/msg01171.html

Also, I've attached an internal document describing some of the details of
CMEM.  I scanned it quickly, and it seems to be up to date - though I reserve
the right to say "oops" once or twice and send a corrected version.  :)

If you're a Codec Engine user, you should know that calls to
Memory_allocContig() - ON THE ARM - will result in calls to CMEM_alloc() (and
likewise the "free" variants).  That's essentially the loose binding between CE
and CMEM - you configure the memory pools available to Memory_allocContig() via
cmem.ko's command line.

[ If you're a Codec Engine application, it's recommended to use the portable
Memory_allocContig() rather than calling CMEM_alloc() directly.
Memory_allocContig() is supported on all OS's (e.g. WinCE) and devices (e.g.
DM643x, which has no ARM) that Codec Engine is ported to. ]

And finally (if you have "doxygen" in your path), you can generate the CMEM
documentation, including many of these details, by following the instructions
in CMEM's "readme.txt" and building CMEM with "make docs".

Chris