Quick one... this comment may not be right:

> I would be more than happy to use VIDENC1_create - but it
> takes a param
> structure of VIDENC1_Params - which doesn't support the extended
> arguments that I'm trying to change.

So long as the extended fields are _scalars_ (e.g. not pointers), and the first
.size field is correctly set, the VISA APIs (e.g. VIDENC1_create()) _do_
support extended create param structs.

This is described a little bit here, though the focus is on extending process()
and control():
http://wiki.davincidsp.com/index.php?title=Extending_data_structures_in_xDM

Chris