AFAIK, it's not, nor is it a bug.  If no one else is using it, the codecs
should feel free to.  The system integrator should be able to decide who should
have it rather than hard-coding codecs/audio drivers/etc to require it.

If it's not available, the codecs will get the memory from somewhere else and
simply(?) suffer a performance cost.  But some systems may decide using this
memory to improve codec performance is more important than giving it to someone
else.  And vice-versa.