On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 07:58 AM, Perrin Harkins wrote:

You guys should just be using DBI->connect_cached then.  It does
everything except the mod_perl cleanup handler.

Note that I still write a utility class that knows where to get the
database config and returns a connection, but I don't worry about doing
anything to keep the connection persistent or ping it, and that's what
Apache::DBI or DBI->connect_cached will take care of for you.

Checking it out, I see that the DBI docs say:

Caching can be useful in some applications, but it can also cause problems and should be used with care. The exact behaviour of this method is liable to change, so if you intend to use it in any production applications you should discuss your needs on the dbi-users mailing list.

So, do I need to ask anyone other than you, Perrin? Tim, are you listening? Is this still somewhat experimental?

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                              ICQ: 15726394
http://www.kineticode.com/                     Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]