At 10:37 AM +0100 8/3/04, Tim Bunce wrote:
I'm thinking of DBI v3
as the version that'll be re-engineered with a perl6 API. Though in
practice it may work out that DBI v3 is a 'plain' port to perl6 and
it's DBI v4 that gets an API makeover. But that's all some way off yet.

I'm thinking that a better solution would be for DBI v3 to "do a Perl 6" and "break everything at once", especially since it is intended *for* Perl 6. This would be the perfect time to do that too, since all of the guts have to be rewritten anyway to work on Parrot. An improved API would flow naturally and would be something that works well with the new internals without contrivances. I strongly suggest that giving the appearance of a plain port be done with a wrapper module which is bundled. There's no reason that we should have to also do a v4 so soon. And I'm not getting into minutae here, just general principles. -- Darren Duncan