As an addition to this thread, I just wanted to add that having each DBD implement their own event loop (via select() or otherwise) is not acceptable. Anyone who has done event driven programming will understand the mantra: There can be only one. Only one event loop that is. If you implement an event loop in your DBD then you BLOCK my event loop, which I cannot allow to happen. I don't believe that perl threads are stable/fast enough to fix this problem in a very large scale program.

The API *has* to be something that can integrate with other event loops. My suggestion for the only thing scalable enough for this is a file descriptor which can be notified of readiness.

Matt.