On 2 Sep 2004, at 23:31, Tim Bunce wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read through all the comments in this thread yet,
but I'll point out two flies in the ointment:

1. Many database API's don't offer access to the filehandle.

2. Even for those that do, just because the filehandle becomes 'readable'
doesn't mean that the appropriate API function call won't block.

So it doesn't have to be the filehandle that is connected across the network. It could be a pipe that you write to when stuff is ready. This would be compatible with either local or remote systems.

Matt.