On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:06:44 +1000, Ron Savage wrote:

>Well, I thought I'd better put my keyboard where my mouth is, so I wrote an
>article on this:
>
>http://savage.net.au/Ron/html/images-in-files.html

I've thought of another aspect which you didn't address in that article,
and which can be very important. It is how you access the images.

In db BLOBs, using DBI, there's only one way to get the images from the
DBI: in one huge chunk. That's not trivial, you have to set LongReadLen
to a large enough value, which always wastes a lot of memory even if you
don't need it, and there's always the possibility that it still wasn't
large enough. I know of no way to read a long field from a database in
chunks -- unlike a file.

--
        Bart.